Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaDay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Endtime theories of fairly recent history
    I'd like to hear from people of a variety of generations on the subject of "endtimes" relating to current events. For example, people who were adults in the 70's, what was in the news or happening that people in general or religious groups attempted to attribute to signs of the endtimes?

Also, what decade did you have children in, at the time what was your biggest fear for your children growing up, and was your fear warranted at all?

What do you think about any current endtime theories? Have you ever lived in fear through a time when you and many others truly believed the world was doomed? I'm interested in hearing of popular past theories of endtimes that didn't "pan out" (I guess that would be all of them;) )
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 11:20 PM
    Yes, that would be all of them. Lol

I have always heard of different theories, and even remember when I was a young boy listening to an evengalist saying the world is going to end tomorrow. This was in 1980's. Well every single prediction has become untrue. Everybody says we are in the end times right now, but I go back to the bible and it says no man, no angel not even Jesus knows the day or time of the end except for God. It will be when everybody least expects it to happen. Everybody is expecting it to happen so it will never happen. I believe there is always hope and that the world is not doomed yet.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 11:54 PM
    Quran chapter 79 verse 42-46
    "They ask you (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) about the Hour, - when will be its appointed time?
    You have no knowledge to say anything about it,
    To your Lord belongs (the knowledge of) the term thereof?
    You (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) are only a warner for those who fear it,
    The Day they see it, (it will be) as if they had not tarried (in this world) except an afternoon or a morning."

Quran 7:187
    "The Hour has drawn near, and the moon has been cleft asunder (the people of Makkah requested Prophet Muhammad SAW to show them a miracle, so he showed them the splitting of the moon)."

The endtime theories that have not been proven does not mean that time will not end.
    It just means that we as human beings have no knowledge of when it will be.As jesushelper pointed out Jesus or any other messenger had no idea of it and even the angels are not aware of when it will be. Only the Almighty has this knowleedge.

We know for sure that it will come about in the near future.(near future does not mean that it may (or may not )happen in my lifetime or yours).

:)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 12, 2007, 06:00 AM
    There have been many, and there will be more to come - theories like that stem from thoughts and feers of groups of individuals who are not happy with current events.
    This usually leads to thoughts of the 'anticrist' as well. Hitler was one, and there were others, and with more to come in the future. Does anyone have an ideas as to who or what the current one is?

The feeling of helplessness, IMO, is the key factor here.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 06:06 AM
    I was an adult in the 1970's and the year 2000 loomed as the end. I heard that often - that was before Y2K even popped up in terminology.

There will always be people who say, "look here" or "look over there" but don't do it. It is not going to gain you anything but a craned neck. We are not to know the hour but we are to be prepared for that hour. That is the main focus, not debating dates and signs and wonders. That's my two cents on the subject.

You asked about children - my first child was born in the 1973, my second in 1980 and the third in 1987. My fears for them were basically the same - safety and health and protection. Most of my fears were unwarranted but then how do I really know? No was was abducted or molested but with me right there, no one was going to get a chance either. I was one of those overprotective Moms. Still am for my youngest.

Aug 12, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Shy, interesting that the year 2000 was a concern then. Do you remember any specific reasons there was fear surrounding the year (possibly besides simply the turn of the century)? Did psychics of the time play into it? Did people attempt to make bible passages and old psychics prophecies (Nostradamus, etc) fit their fears?

Do you think people have feared every turn of the century in a similar way?

Aug 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
    I'd also like tro say I appreciate all the responses. I fear I might have given the impression that I believe in or am afraid of endtime theories. I am not, I agree with jesushelpers post regarding the what the bible says about predictions and the like. I am simply asking because it intrigues me and I wanted to sort of "track" the evolution of theory, how it has changed through recent history to suit the current time. I maybe should have just asked what previous generations have observed in this subject, rather than asking if you've personally believed or been affected by a theory.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Hi Donna. I remember hearing some Bible "scholars" who said they had counted the generations down to the year 2000 and there were no generations after that. One of our parish priests even gave his thoughts on said that the world could only last 2000 years after Christ. He said he learned that in the seminary from one of his instructors, a monk who reportedly had come across an ancient text. But I heard a Mennonite missionary say much the same.

Yes, I do think people looked at every turn of the century as this possibly being the last. One wonders with the speed of life, the rapid depletion of natural and non renewable resources, how much time do we have left? But I often heard my Grandparents say that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recent college grad with criminal history [ 6 Answers ]

I recently graduated from college with a degree in Public Relations. I got good grades and have also consistently held a job since I was fifteen. The problem is that I partied pretty hard through my first two years of college and established significant police record during this time including;...

Am I being treated fairly? [ 1 Answers ]

Since January this year ive been getting very close to a really nice boy. I bet you're thinking 'she fancies him' or w.e. But actually i don't, he sees me as his best friend and i feel the same. In January id had a stressful time with an ex boyfriend and i was often depressed and crying. He...

Exponential Theories [ 2 Answers ]

What theory could I look at to predict what the last digit will be when 3 is raised to the power of 200? Also - my question reads "are there any whole numbers that give the same last digit when they are raised to any power?" Where should I start my investigation here? Is there a theory that...

Guide on accounting theories [ 1 Answers ]

Hi people, Need some help on the following terms, have tried googled it, but still not really able to understand the whole meaning on most of the articles read 1) What is meant by an "immaterial item"? Any suitable detailed examples on it? 2)

A man who has a fairly high-pitched voice [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a quick question and hope you can help me. I am a man (a real man) but my voice is so feminine. Sometimes, I'm not so confident talking with people, especially talking with women. I'm wondering if there is any kind of medicine out there that I can take to improve my voice? I...

View more questions Search