Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mc53816 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Shower to Bathtub Conversion
    We're redoing our bathroom in the basement and want to take out the shower and cupboard and replace it with a bath/shower unit. Is there an easy way to convert the drains. The shower drain and where the bathtub drain would be are not in the same place. How can we "move" the drain?
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Aug 11, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Since you'll be putting a bathtub in there anyhow, it shouldn't be too much trouble to just bust up the concrete and put the drains were you need them. This is not as hard or traumatic as it seems.. a diamond blade to score the concrete and a sledgehammer should do it pretty easily.

Remember that the bathtub trap needs to remain accessible somehow.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
    I have a suggestion, why not if you have enough room place the tub shower unit to where you can hook up the drain where the floor drain is located. Then on the faucet end of the tub construct a linen closet with removeable shelves and an access panel to work on the faucet or shower "L". Just a thought. I'm sure you would enjoy the extra storage of the linen closet. And install shutoffs on both lines when plumbing in to the tub shower unit.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
    A typical bat tub rough in has the center of the trap raiser 15 1/2 inches out from the side wall plate and 1 1/2 inches off the front wall plate. Make a 12 X12" square dapout in the cement for the trap. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub to Shower Conversion [ 4 Answers ]

We need to remove a standard 32x60" tub and replace with a shower. Is it possible to use the existing tub drain and simply slope the shower floor or is it essential to have the shower drain in the center? Thanks

Tub to shower conversion/drain installation in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I live on the 2nd floor of my condo and tore out the old bathtub to replace it with a shower. Here's what I know: the floor is concrete slab and there is an approx 1.5' x 2' cutout for the original plumbing installation. The plumbers installed the piping to fit the tub and then poured in cement...

Converting bathtub/shower to shower only. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, is it possible to take out our fiberglass bathtub/shower surround, and convert into a step in all tiled shower. How would we go about doing that.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. :D MDStevens

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Pressure in bathtub/shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, For about the past couple of months, I've experienced a serious decrease in water pressure to both my showerhead & my bathtub faucet. I've read a lot of things on it, so I just wanted to verify. I have no loss of temperature, but the water coming out of the drains is pathetic. The rest of the...

View more questions Search