Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LATRA400 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
    3 prong to 4 prong dryer cord
    Hello, I wanted to know when converting to a 4 prong dryer cord , what do you do with the green ground wire that is already connected to the frame. Do I replace it with the green ground wire that's on the cord or do I leave it alone, and place the green wire from the cord on another screw.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Connect the green wire from the cord to the frame also. Leave the green wire there alone.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Color Match The Wires, Red To Red, Black To Black, White To White, Green To Green. Actually You Are Just Having A Neutral And A Ground, Which Is Probably Going To Be Hooked To The Same Buss Bar In The Panel Box Unless It Is A New Construction Or Has Been Done In About The Last 10 To 15 Years.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:28 PM
    The pictures on this page show you how to do the job...
    The top picture is the terminal board with 3 wires- 3prong

The main thing is the metal strap is removed from the center post ---
    Which is now the (N) neutral in the 4 wire - 4 prong (second picture)

Appliantology Archive: Dryer Cords

In the bottom picture you can see ( L2 where BLACK wire is connected )
    (N is neutral where WHITE wire is connected ) ( L1 where RED wire is connected )
    ( Green is GROUND and connects to the case of the dryer )

If I were doing this change I would remove strap and put ground
    ( GREEN wire ) where strap is shown sticking out - much better

Please Rate My Awsner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

Changing a 4 prong to 3 prong [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved and my dryer is a 4 prong and I need to change it to a 3 prong. I am not sure which wires go where. I had a black, white,red and green. Do I take the green ground wire and attach it to the white neutral? My new wires all all neutrasl with the middle being the white.

Converting 2-prong outlets to 3-prong [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house were only a few of the outlets are 3-prongs. I want to change all the existing 2-prong outlets (as buying cheaters is annoying) to some GFCI outlets, but I have a problem. There are no light fixtures in the house, and all the light switches run the top slot on the outlets,...

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

View more questions Search