Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallyjane1982 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 03:06 PM
    My 17 day old pups have fleas and I need home remedies.
    I was given a rescued full blooded female Shih Tzu and was told she had never been in heat and would still be awhile before she came into heat.. And the people who gave me her penned her with a Mini Dashound Male. Well they did not know she was pregnant when we got her and we didn't know she was until about 2 weeks prior to deliver, which at this time we had only had her 3 weeks and she was and is still being treated but she goes outside to potty and comes back in and this summer down here in the south fleas and ticks are AWFUL! We did NOT know she was pregnant so before anyone starts bad mouthing me KNOW that up front. Whether I was intending on breeding her or not is not the ques. I just need to know about some home remedies. Or some advice. I have been reading on what to do and some people say to use Lavender oil on the pups but I am a little wary of this... Is there anything using like vinegar or something like that?? But please if you are going to have something bad to say about me as a pet owner don't reply. Because we were NEVER intending on her having puppies. And had no clue she was going to have puppies. I was actually fixing to call my vet to schedule a spaying for her, when a friend of mine who happened to be a vet tech years ago stopped by and noticed how big she was getting and how tired she was.. We thought it was just because it was hot and we had been feeding her too much which we had started limiting what she was eating when it was figured out that she was pregnant. So any advice on the fleas let me know.. They aren't bad you might see 2 or 3 on the puppies but that is bad enough I hate fleas and it scares me that they have them.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 03:28 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/3...eas+on+puppies Here is a sample of what some people do for puppies with fleas. If You call a vets office they will tell you what they think you should do. I am sure that they have flea treatment that are safe for nursing dogs. They will tell you what products to use. Walmart sells flea combs, they are very effective in removing fleas.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
    You might try some of the things suggested in the other thread over the weekend, but once the vet's office opens Monday, I would check with them for modern remedies and forget the natural methods. I think the strongest proof of their ineffectiveness was the dramatic reduction of flea problems in the mid 90's as the modern products came into common usage. I don't know anybody using the common products such as Revolution, Advantage, Program, Frontline, etc. that are having problems. The vet can steer you to products safe for such young puppies.

Just treating the dogs isn't enough once fleas are established. You must also treat the house and yardand maybe the car too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy's first day home alone [ 3 Answers ]

We have just brought our havanese pup home from the breeder. He is 8 weeks old. I spent all day with him on Monday, as I could work from home, but this was only a temporary arrangement, and my wife and I are now working full time away from home. He is very comfortable in his crate, and he has a...

Parvo And Well Pups [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 Cairn Terriers had litters of pups 2 days apart. At 6 weeks, (1st shots not given yet), out of 14 pups, 8 died from parvo. I had originally quarantined the sick ones, but as the days went by, more got sick very quickly. Two that had the virus have survived and seem to be thriving. The...

What ARE these pups? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We've recently taken in two puppies that were dropped off on a friend's doorstep. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the mix might be. These pictures are both of the girl (they look very similar.) I've had pit bull suggested, but we're really not sure. Is there any way to tell...

Do chiuahua pups get along with kittens? [ 1 Answers ]

Well u can call me Candy if you would like 2. :D :D um... I'm new here and I'm open 2 new things and love seeing different answers. So my question is Do 8 week old chiuahuas get along with 8 month old kittens? Please answer ASAP!

Doxie Pups Run From Me [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my 9 month old Doxie pups from running away from me? The female does this when I want to put her in the kennel (she will not be bribed with treats) and the male when he occasionally gets out the front door and runs across the street. I've "had it" with the both of them and ready to...

View more questions Search