Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedsHOPE Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Heartbreak equal to death
    I must say I can only compare my heartbreak to a death in the family. It literally feels like someone I loved dearly has died. And that's why I say I would take back my ex. Just as if someone you love died and God said do you want them to come back. You would say YES!! In someway it is a death. Gone are the plans you both made for the future. Gone is the companionship you had together. Suddenly you are left with the feeling that they are going to come walking through the door only to realize that never again will that happen. Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone ?
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Aug 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsHOPE
    I must say I can only compare my heartbreak to a death in the family. It literally feels like someone i loved dearly has died. And thats why I say I would take back my ex. Just as if someone you love died and God said do you want them to come back. You would say YES!!!!!!!! In someway it is a death. Gone are the plans you both made for the future. Gone is the companionship you had together. Suddenly you are left with the feeling that they are going to come walking through the door only to realize that never again will that happen. Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone ?
    My heart goes out to you. I am going through the same thing, my boyfriend of two years just broke up with me a month ago. I have cried, felt lonely and very depressed. I don't know what I did wrong. I tried talking to him two weeks ago, but it didn't work. Right now I am giving him space with no phone calls, no emails, no text messages, no nothing. This is not me, I am always the one that caves. I can't do it this time. I feel just like you, that I have lost everything, that person who was so close to me. You want them to give you the second chance. People say keep busy go out with friends, do things for yourself, but bottom line when you come home the loneliness is still there. It feels just like death. My heart goes out to you, try and be strong, you didn't say why you broke up...
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
    You are not alone and that is the way you need to treat a break up. It's like a death and you deal the same emotional voids and the shock.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
    You are both right... it is like a death, and we do go through a mourning period.

In Scottland and Ireland wakes are celebrations to give the departed and send-off. Those that stay behind rehash the good memories.

Now, if we could do that every time we break up it maybe would be easier to cope.

But in a partner break-up, we are alone to mourn and forced to survive as best we can.

Hope your mourning period is not too long, dear.

Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Yes, it is a major emotional loss and upheaval.

But, you came to the right place.
    These things take time... A few questions:

1) How old are you?
    2) How long did you go all out?
    3) Were you the breakee?
    4) Was this your first break with this person?
    5) Was your break up a total surprise?
    6) Do you respect your (now) EX.
    7) Did you both give equally to the relationship?
    8) Was there any infidelity or drug/alcohol abuse involved in the last year?

Standing by...
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
    PS - after 1-8 answered above --

Stop by here to see if any of this might be relevant for you: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...sh-114179.html
    (you may find #9 particularly relevant)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 05:27 PM
    What you're experiencing is quite common. It's necessary to give yourself time to mourn and grieve the loss, just as you would with a death.
    Terri Diegel Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Things will get better... god won't close a door without opening a window
    MissingHim2Much Posts: 252, Reputation: 37

Aug 12, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123
    Yes, it is a major emotional loss and upheaval.

But, you came to the right place.
    These things take time....A few questions:

1) How old are you?
    2) How long did you go all out?
    3) Were you the breakee?
    4) Was this your first break with this person?
    5) Was your break up a total surprise?
    6) Do you respect your (now) EX.
    7) Did you both give equally to the relationship?
    8) Was there any infidelity or drug/alcohol abuse involved in the last year?

Standing by....
    1. I'm 41
    2. 8 yrs
    3. yes he broke up
    4. yes are first break up
    5. yes a total surprise
    6. yes I respect him for the fact I think he wanted to cheat but he said he would never do it while with me.
    7. yes we had a good relationship
    8. I'm not totally sure if there is now or not ( infidelity I mean)
    LUK3Y Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2007, 04:04 AM
    I know exactly how it feels. Lost my father nearly a yr ago now. Before and after the incident my ex and I broke up over a total of 3 times. Always her childish reason for ending it. Turns out it was always for someone else. When it won't work with them she would keep coming back saying how stupid and sorry she was, me being the fool kept falling for it.
    Been three months now since we broke up, talking on and off, though she does not like it when I snob her off, or ignore her as she is used to me being the fool chasing her around begging for her back. Hurts for me to say but losing her was harder than losing my own father :( .

1) 21
    2) Nearly 2 Yrs
    3) Yes
    4) No 3rd or 4th
    5) Seen it coming like the rest 2 weeks before it happened
    6) Yes and no
    7) Felt like I was dating myself in the end
    8) No
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
    It hurts but you'll learn from your breakup. I am sure you have had others which you got over? Keep yourself busy and improve yourself and do what you want to!
    risingup Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
    There's a cool website called womenmovingon.com. There are parts of a book called congrats on your divorce. Even though your weren't married. Pain is pain my friend and it made sense to me. You should check it out.

Bitterness is natural but it hurts you more than him. "It's like swalllowing posion and expecting him to die"

Good Luck!! :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 12:14 PM
    We all mourn our loss after a break up, but life goes on, and so will you eventually.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 12:23 PM

1. i'm 41
    2. 8 yrs
    3. yes he broke up
    4. yes are first break up
    5. yes a total suprise
    6. yes i respect him for the fact i think he wanted to cheat but he said he would never do it while with me.
    7. yes we had a good relationship
    8. I'm not totally sure if there is now or not ( infidelity i mean)

-------

Ok, I'm confused. Is NeedsHope and MissimgHim2Much the same person?
    I'll assume so (? )

So:

1. you are of an age where the significance is magnified and the duration is significant too. I would say that if you have not spoken since the break - you are on his mind. It appears he wanted to be free, but reality will not match the fantasy. No woman can match an 8 year relationship. This will take time...

Do not contact him.

Let karma take over... him or a new guy will find you if you go out and just be... just go out once a week.. even if for just 30 minutes and a ginger ale. He is not dead and neither are you. (and I'd add that being in good physical shape is an asset for healing and being confident when you go out... )

It is going to take time to heal so suffer a bit, and know life is going to suck for a bit... but leave him be for now. Reality takes about 90 days to clarify.

Sorry for your pain.
    MissingHim2Much Posts: 252, Reputation: 37

Aug 12, 2007, 02:27 PM
    [QUOTE=Ash123

-------

Ok, I'm confused. Is NeedsHope and MissimgHim2Much the same person?
    I'll assume so (? )

No ash NeedsHOPE is my sister and she was at my house last night and accidentally answered your question on my screenname. Her boyfriend was 41 just like her.. my boyfriend is 25
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 02:31 PM
    I'm confused.

Anyway, I hope this helps:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...de-116834.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2. Heartbreak - No Contact - Get back together. [ 148 Answers ]

You have now done no contact, You are no longer in the needy, desperate unatractive stage, no longer hounding, harassing or stalking your ex. So you are no longer pushing them away. Now you need to REBUILD the relationship if not to late. ATTITUDE – Get an attitude adjustment first. Lighten up...

How do I survive heartbreak? [ 6 Answers ]

11 months ago I ran into a childhood friend of mine and we started dating shortly after. The summer went by and I left to go back to school in the midwest. I lived on the west coast at the time, but we decided to stay together. When he came to visit me I found out he had previously cheated on me...

Heartbreak - No Contact -Get back together. [ 27 Answers ]

At the end of a break up, it is natural to fight to save the break up. The other persons emotional interest in you is gone/going and your fighting to prevent this. You are desperate to save this. You act desperate. This is very unatractive and pushes your ex further away. By the time you realise...

Dad wants equal time [ 4 Answers ]

My friend had a brief relationship with this woman at work(3mos) which possibly resulted in her getting pregnant. She also has twin boys by this other guy we work with(we all work in the same wherehouse). She also has a 9 year old daughter with this other guy. But anyway, she has anger issues. ...

IRQ not less than or equal on Defrag [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting an "IRQ not less than or equal" BSD error when I start Defrag or Norton Speed Disk. Any suggestion are welcome.

View more questions Search