Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newhomeowner456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Cant an Apartment Complex Do this?
    I am in louisville, KY. I have lived in my apartment for a year and 6 months. I have never been late, never had any problems here. The second year I did sign a year lease because they do not do month to month. I recently put an offer on a house and it was accepted. I gave my apartment complex 41 days notice of me moving out. They advised that I would be responsible for the rent until the end of my lease or until they rent it out. Then he informs me that They are sending in a lease termination. How can they terminate my lease but still hold me liable for the rent? And if I am upgrading into a home and not another apartment complex aren't they suppose to let me out of my lease?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
    No of course they are not suppose to let you out of the lease, who ever in the world told you that??

A lease legally obligates you to every term of the lease. And yes you will be held liable for the rent of the apartment till they rent it out. So if this is a popular unit, there is little to worry about, if there are a lot of empty rentals now, you may have to pay for the remainder of the lease.

Once you give them notice, you are breeching the lease, so then they can expect you to obey the terms of it. The termination of lease means that they terrminate your rental as per your request but you will have to pay the penalty of breaking it.

This is very common and standard in rentals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing problems at apartment complex [ 1 Answers ]

This is a question I posted on the plumbing board: If there is a main sewage pump in an apartment complex not working properly, is it possible for most toilets in a certain building connected to that pump to not flush, and one or more to overflow drastically because of the pressure pushing water...

Apartment Complex Main Pump [ 1 Answers ]

:(

Apartment complex behind on water payment [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living in this apartment complex for several years without issues with payment of the water until this month. Sewer and water are included in the rent. We got a disconnect notice that water service had not been paid. What recourse do I have on the management of the apartment complex?

Apartment complex problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in my apartments for about a year and up until last week things have been fine. I wrote my rent check and gave it to the apartment on the 1st, after viewing my bank statement a couple of days later I noticed I had wrote the checkf or $20 under the needed amount, I...

Sneaky Apartment Complex Woes [ 4 Answers ]

During the heat wave this summer, my air conditioner gave out. Not only gave out, constantly froze over. My apartment complex, whose responsibilities include the AC unit, heater, and other basic utilities and their upkeep, fixed the problem _temporarily_. They stated that they had arrived at...

View more questions Search