Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxyandsandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2005, 05:09 PM
    6 month old boston terrier pooping in cage
    My 6 month old boston terrier poops in her cage every time that we leave the house (not only does she poop, but she stomps on it and smears it all around the cage and on herself). It doesn't matter how we are gone, 30 minutes or 8 hrs! She never did this before - it just started last month when we left her and ou lab at my in-laws while we went on vaccation for 2 weeks. Ever since then she has pooped every time that we leave her. I called the vet and they said that it was most likely stress related to her not knowing if we will come home? I don't know if this is true or not? Any suggestions on what the problem could be or how to stop it?
    Please help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2005, 06:17 PM
    Dogs never explain why they do things. I don't trust anybody that insists they really know what is going on in those furry little heads. You often hear the term separation anxiously. It is only natural that a puppy resists its crate at first. What the puppy wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home, other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. In addition to not wanting to be left alone, she may be feeling she is a big girl now and challenging you for pack status. Whatever the reason, she has found an effective protest. It is hard to hide emotions from a dog, but the calmer you are when you find the mess, the better. Just matter of factly go about cleaning it up.

Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

I am not sure how soon the obedience training will have effect. It may be a matter of outlasting her too. A wire rack in the bottom of the crate will reduce the mess in the mean time. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. At least that way, the stools are quickly pushed below the rack before she makes too much of a mess of her self. In any reasonable weather, I haul a fouled plastic crate outside and hose it off. With a wire crate, you mostly need to clean up the tray.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 month old puppy still pooping in crate [ 12 Answers ]

Hi. I adopted an 8 week old Pit Bull mix from a pet store in July. From day one, she has peed and pooped in her crate nearly EVERY night. She did have coccida, but was treated and is now cleared. She was spayed at 12 weeks of age. I thought she was going to the bathroom in her crate because...

Boston terrier [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old boston terrier. He has blood in his poop. Is this something I should be worried about ? I call the v et and she said it's probably OK.

Boston Terrier Poops in house [ 2 Answers ]

7 month, male, Boston goes outdoors and poops heavily three times a day but will still find a way to poop in the house. Different sites on the NET talk about a special training method for Boston Terriers that is guarunteed to stop your dog from craping in the house for $49.95. I'm at my witts end...

12 week Husky pooping in cage [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 12 week old male Siberian husky that continues to poop in his cage when he is left in there while I am at work. I usually arrange for him to only be in his cage for no more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. BUT even at that length of time I come home to him thrashing in his poop. I have...

Dog started pooping in cage after 1 month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this dog trianing thing. We bought a pug 5 weeks ago. He is 4 months old. The first month was perfect... no pee or poop ever in the crate. We this week he suddenly started to pee and poop in crate. The only thing I changed was his bed because he was eating the fur off the bed. ...

View more questions Search