Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MysticEnigma21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
    OpenOffice Writer Question
    I know that the OpenOffice Writer allows you to convert a MS Word document, as well as other documents, into OpenOffice documents; but I can't find anything on converting an OpenOffice document into a MS Word document. Is this even possible? If so, how? The problem that I had was being able to do this, sending it as an e-mail to myself, and printing it out at my school's library which has MS Word. When I printed it out, there were all these other characters throughot the document. What went wrong? What should I have done? Could the fact that I have Windows 98 and my school has XP be an issue in this? HELP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2005, 12:51 PM
    I thought that OpenOffice used the doc format. Did you try using File>Save As to save as a Word doc?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 16, 2005, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I thought that OpenOffice used the doc format.
    Not a chance. Microsoft's "dot doc" is an abomination...

Did you try using File>Save As to save as a Word doc?
    That should work. Note that OpenOffice.org's word exporter is based on reverse-engineering and is far from perfect. Microsoft also secretly changes the .doc format between MS Office releases, giving the OpenOffice.org development team, and the whole of Internet users, a collective headache.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

Your best bet is really to export in RTF format, which both MS Office and OpenOffice.org can read and write without problems.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2005, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    Not a chance. Microsoft's "dot doc" is an abomination...

Your best bet is really to export in RTF format, which both MS Office and OpenOffice.org can read and write without problems.
    Good point. I should have thought of RTF. Just curious about why you say the DOC format is an "abomination"?

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD writer [ 3 Answers ]

Please, I am shopping for a notebook : Siemens Fujitsu amilo pro edition V2020, 60 Gb HDD, 512 Mb Ram. The optical drive is DVD writer with double layer protection. Does this mean that it won't write CD's?? If it will, how would I know the writing speed for DVD and CD? Second question: is the...

DVD Writer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a DVD Writer that can read dvd's but my problem is when I want to burn to it. It does not see the DVD-R (blank) in it. It's an HP 300n DVD/CD-RW. I updated the drivers and I reinstalled. The connection to the motherboard I believe are like a normal cd-rom.(power cable and the cable...

Help me please? I am a bad writer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello... I need help... I wrote a paper for english on a personnal event that was embarrassing... My teacher is very anal about it being concrete and interesting... Will you please read it and give me any sugesstions... To change or make it concrete... It is due tomorrow.. I just finished it...

CD writer [ 3 Answers ]

I have CD writer Asus and Nero burning programme. I want to use CDRW and wish to use as like floppy disk When ever I write through Incd it burns and cannot write again. With nero transferring data I am facing the same problem. How can I use CDRW as I like floppy ? Please reply sooner possible

DVD writer [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning to purchase a DVD Writer, can someone tell me what do I need to consider when I want to buy one. I want to know how much a dvd burner can burn on a DVD-rw. I was told that a 4.7G CD can only be burned to 4.4G capacity. Is it true?

View more questions Search