Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    launikalinda Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Why do I have a bump on my ear piercing?
    I got my 2nd hole in my ears almost 2 yrs aqo [at walmart] and when I 1st got it pierced, for like the first day or two I didn't clean it because I had nothing to clean it with because I was staying at my friends house. As soon as I got the stuff to clean it with, I cleaned it twice a day just like the directions said but after 3 or 4 weeks it seemed like it was healing [and I kind of got lazy] so I was cleaning them less and less. Well when the month was up and I could finally take out the earrings and replace them, I did, and for almost a year they were fine but then they started to get little bumps near the hole and it made the hole go lower on my ear. I don't know if it was because the earrings I was wearing or because I didn't clean it at first but does anyone know why I have the bump and how I can get rid of it...
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 11:36 AM
    You have little bumps like a rash? Or like scarring? And what do you mean by it made the hole go lower on your ear?

If it is a bump from scarring, apply a warm compress to the ear for 10 minutes twice a day. This should tame it down a bit. Also, if it is scarring, avoid playing with it and also avoid changing the earrings until this problem goes away. Any further irritation could make it worse, and grow bigger. :)
    AliMarGoo Posts: 72, Reputation: 13

Aug 11, 2007, 11:48 AM
    It could also be allergies to that certain type of metal that's in your earrings. I can't wear fake jewellery or anything that has nickel in it because it causes me to break out in a rash. It also seems that it could be infected . Try switiching to nickel-free earrings. I went to a professional tattoing/piercing place and had them look at my navel when my belly button did the same thing. That's how I found out I was allergic to nickel. If it's causing pain then it's probably infected, if it's just a rash then it could just be allergies. If it's just bumps, then like nauticalstar said, it could be scarring.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Good point. If it is infection, some signs to look for are extreme swelling, extreme redness and a yellowish discharge from the piercing that doesn't smell that good. Also Ali brought up the good point that you could be allergic to the metal that the jewelry is made of. Some people can't wear just any old earrings. Personally, if I put anything in my ear from Walmart/Target/Kmart, my ear breaks out and swells like you would not believe. Some of those cheap earrings can also chip inside of your ear (the top layer of fake metal) and cause it to be irritated. Those kind of "dress up" earrings are not good for you.

Aug 11, 2007, 04:00 PM
    I don't think I'm allergic to it because in the 1st hole, the 3rd hole and my cartilage I wear fake jewelry and nothing has happened to those piercings... I think that maybe its just infected because I didn't clean it at first. Because its like a big red bump near the hole
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by launikalinda
    i dont think im allergic to it bcuz in the 1st hole, the 3rd hole and my cartilage i wear fake jewelry and nothing has happend to those piercings... i think that maybe its just infected bcuz i didnt clean it at first. because its like a big red bump near the hole
    Is there a liquid weeping out of it? Whether you cleaned it two years ago wouldn't have anything to do with the problem now. It obviously healed between when you first got it and when it started acting up this time.

Is the bump hard? Or soft? It could just be scarring. Sometimes the result of irritation is excess scarring.

If you are really worried that it could be infection, see your doctor for possibly some antibiotics. :)

Aug 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
    The bump is hard and yea sometimes liquid comes out of it and sometimes it bleeds a little
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Okay bleeding is not usually good with a two year old piercing. You might want to go to the doctor to rule out infection.

Good luck and let me know how it comes along :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Bump Behind My Right Ear [ 14 Answers ]

well I noticed an irriation behind my ear which if I'm correct I think started as a pimple.. cause it was really small.. and it doesn't hurt unless I actually pressure it. then it becomes a little irritated not painful.. but I'm worried is it a lymph node. or a Cyst? I showed my mother...

Bump behind my right ear [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've noticed for the last two weeks that I have a hardened bump behind the middle of my right ear. It feels as hard as a bone. It doesn't hurt or anything, but I am getting stressed out about it. Anyone know what it could be? What are the probabilities that it could be something very...

Ear Piercing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 17 year old male living in Chandler, Arizona. I am going to ASU and my parents are in Connecticut and I'm staying with an aunt. I want to get my left ear pierced, but you need a parent and stuff to get it done it most places I've checked. I turn 18 in Nov, but I would like it done...

Bump Behind Ear [ 2 Answers ]

I have this bump behind my ear, Behind my lobe (makes my ear lobe stick out). I thought it was a pimple at first but it doesn't have a head on it, I woke up this morning I didn't notice it, but at work around noon I felt it then looked in the mirror and saw this bump thing. I was a little sick for...

Bump behind the ear [ 2 Answers ]

I just discovered a hard bump behind my right ear that feels like bone. I do not have this bump behind my left ear. The bump does not hurt. What could this bump be and should I be concerned?

View more questions Search