Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LAWNDADDY2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Mower won't start/crank
    I have a 14 HP B&S Murray Riding Lawn Mower that won't crank. It is an older mower but has been very good and is well maintained. When I try to crank it the flywheel turns a half turn or so and seems to be locking/hanging up. I have just purchased a new battery. No luck. Seems this happened once before to find out that the magneto or it's mount (?) was loose and slid over stopping the crank from turning. When it did start it sounded as if it was scrubbing/rubbing on something. Now it won't crank at all and won't even spin. I can bump the ignition at times and it will turn a quarter turn or so then stop turning other times it just makes a clicking sound.
    Anyone know what the deal is. HELP!!
    ultimate_user_name Posts: 103, Reputation: 6

Aug 10, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Hmm I'm not real great with engines, but, you didn't mention anything about checking/replacing the spark plugs, that would have been one of my first guesses
    ultimate_user_name Posts: 103, Reputation: 6

Aug 10, 2007, 07:25 PM
    There are also some other postings similar to this one, with suggestions like "check battery cables, could be corroded" or:

"With engine off. Turn the cover on the flywheel backwards about 1/4-1/2 turn and then try and start. Many times it hold compression if the valves are loose and the piston ends on the compression stroke." -esquire1
    LAWNDADDY2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Sorry left that out. I have changed out plug and manually turned the flywheel back about half a turn. Still no luck... seems to be hanging up or simply stopping.
    MowerMan42 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Does it hang up 'solid' - like it's physically jammed, or 'soft'?

There are 2 possible reasons the engine won't rotate - 1) Something has moved and jammed it or 2) the cylinder is full of oil/fuel, and has hydraulically locked.

Eliminate number 2 by removing the plug and cranking the engine. If it still won't turn, there's some sort of mechanical reason. Magneto armature loose and fouling flywheel is most likely, followed by alternator stator (requires flywheel removal to check).

If it WILL turn, check what is blown out the plug hole by cranking. If it's fuel, you have a leaky carb inlet needle. If it's oil, check it's not over-filled.
    stapled1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2008, 11:35 AM

Had same problem once. The rectifier (under the flywheel) had vibrated into several pieces and was locking up the flywheel when pieces interfered with turning. Afraid you are going to have to remove the flywheel to findout if this is your problem
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Sep 26, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MowerMan42 View Post
    Eliminate number 2 by removing the plug and cranking the engine.

Be careful when you do this.

Put a rag or something over the spark plug hole to catch whatever may come ot. One time I just cranked it over and it sprayed out gas which was in the cylinder. It was ignited by the spark plug wire and started a fire on the front of the mower. Luckily I was able to put it out with little damage.

So, like I say, Be careful. Move the spark plug wire way out of the way and cover the hole...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Civic won't start, turns over but won't crank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda del sol SI that I converted to manual, before the swap everything was fine, cranked up, my battery and alterntor were going bad but would crank up, after the swap, it turns over but nothing happens,I'm not gettting any spark at all, I went and got a new distributor but still...

Briggs riding mower won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I need a little help with my briggs and stratton 12.5 hp riding mower. I haven't used it in a while and today I was trying to start it up, but to no success. Usually when this happens, its because my battery so I jumped the battery and it still did not work. All it does is make a...

Riding lawn mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a yard man riding lawn mower. One day while using it, it did a big surge and I fell off. I had to push it back down because it was sitting up on its two back wheels, now it will not start. I tried to change the spark plug and tried the battery but nothing works. Please help

My MTD riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I know it is the solenoid but its been off for a while and to tell you the truth I can't remember how it wires back up if any one can tell me or send a pic of the wiring diagram I would appreciate it. The little green wire and the little red wire are what's giving me problems can't remember where...

Lawn mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 yo Boland 4.5hp push mower. It's the cheapy. I changed the plug and it ran fine, cut the yard. The second cutting, it ran out of gas, I filled it, started it, and after 5 min it cut out and died. I ended up removing the top end cover, and cleaned all the grass and what not out. Put it...

View more questions Search