Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 07:39 PM
    Uncontrolable mouse pointer
    This issue I am about to describe has been on the PC since brand new.

Scenario:
    PC was built by a programmer who made a private custom program.
    Without going into too much detail, there had to be a lot of match-ups with Mother Board,CPU and Memory.
    OS is Win XP Pro. (sp2)
    Built around 2002
    ---------------------
    Symptoms.

1. PC boots up and as soon as Desktop stage appears the mouse pointer is moving all over the screen indiscriminately, it can appear to be Left Button clicking to because if it cliks on a shorcut, it will open that application.

2. The pointer will not respond to physical mouse controls but if lucky and might be able to click the start menu and try to re-boot. Meaning it's evasive to say the least.

3a. If the re-set button is pressed and the PC re-boots, it will do the same.
    3b. If shut down and power off using Box switches then re-start,all is back to normal.
    3c If re-start after a power-off it may not do it, yet again it might. There is no obvious reason or warnings.
    ---------------------
    4.On same PC with a different HD, it has never occurred.

5. Original HD has had format C and OS re-installed 3 times. Before any internet connection with fresh install and after first re-boot, it has occurred.
    Meaning it cannot possibly be a virus ?

6 Every time it occurs, it's only with that HD

7. Programmer has seen it happen and does not know why.
    But did not believe me at first, it did after a re-instal at his premises.

8 No virses reported ever.

9. Laptop just started to do the same.
    Both the laptop and the PC are not for integrated use but I have swapped a few files and used to send email from PC to laptop and vice versa on occasions.

Same with laptop, the only way to stop this uncontrolable mouse pointer is to power down and re-start, then all is normal.
    The only way it seems to come back is after a re-boot, never during normal use.

Anyone with any clues to what this glitch might be ?

Thanks.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 15, 2005, 08:11 PM
    Hmm have you tried using a different mouse? Otherwise I would say some type of hardware conflict or virus... I'm sure the experts here will have some good ideas besides mine

Aug 15, 2005, 11:03 PM
    Yes, I have tried several mouses.
    Note though, the laptop and the PC have separate mouses so I don't think it's an issue.
    It can't be a virus because have done a clean format C: and clean re-install of the XP OEM. And still did it a few times before going online.

I thought it would have been a hardware conflict to, but what does not make sense now, is the laptop has started to to the same. That's what's confusing.
    It's on 2 separate PC's now.
    The laptop is 2nd hand and is just a "mess with" PC, yet it uses the same modem's router. ( Billion 7500, wireless not connected)

Baffling to say the least.

I am thinking it might be somewhere in the BIOS ?
    But what to I look for in BIOS ?

I remember someone about a year ago posted a similar occurrence.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2005, 04:31 AM
    The laptop and the desktop PC are doing it?? If that's the case I seriously doubt that it would be hardware or BIOS related. Also I don't think the BIOS contains much about your mouse. It might be a piece of software on the PC that's doing it.

Out of curiousity, is your PC permanently connected to the internet? Was wondering if you get this problem when you aren't connected to the internet.

What happens if you load in the PC without a mouse plugged into the PC?

Aug 16, 2005, 08:18 AM
    The laptop and the desktop PC are doing it??
    Yes, but the OEM of the PC is not the OEM of the laptop.
    Meaning the PC was brand new built specifically byb the programmer who developed some personal software. This was around 2002.
    The laptop I bought of a 2nd hand place to do all other things and basically cheap storage of files and stuff and it has no OEM CD. Both are XP Pro.

Out of curiousity, is your PC permanently connected to the internet?
    Yes,but I log out and switch off the modem if I don't need anything off the net.

Was wondering if you get this problem when you aren't connected to the internet.
    It makes no difference. I can have the PC running for a month. It will only occur after a re-boot every time. It has never occurred whilst using the PC.
    Same with the laptop. It only occurred when booted or re-started.
    And again, it will only not re-occur if shutdown/power off, then re-start.
    If I re-start after a power-off it won't occur,but then if I re-boot, it may occur 95 % of times. The only way to stop it is power-off and re-start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pointer breed [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a pointer from the humane society about 6 weeks ago. I want to know if anyone knows of a website for pointers. I want to know about them.

Mouse problems [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean my mouse?

ME-Mouse [ 1 Answers ]

I am runnig Me on my PC .but the Mouse does not work... Help.. What can I do

Evo N400c pointer wanders [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I don't know if anyone can help , I have an evo n400c laptop running xp service pack 2. I have been getting this intermittent problem where the mouse wanders out of control across the screen. I have a pointer instead of a touchpad. I have looked at processes running and there doesn't...

Mouse problem [ 2 Answers ]

My mouse is very moody. I changed it a couple of times thinking it might be my mouse but it still acts the same. My latest one is a wheelmouse optical. It does not move to the direction I wanted it to go and responds very slow. It works fine for a short while but later it gets stuck again. I tried...

View more questions Search