Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fg017674 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Grounding/neutral meter box and panel
    I'm istalling a 100 amp service in the yard w/meter for the lake equip. The pole will have 3 conductors from the power transformer to the meter box (neutral an two hots). The ground wire from the ground rod connects at the meter box at the same lugs as the neutral? Yes? Or to the meter box housing? Then will the grn wire continue to the panel with main breaker to the neutral lugs or the metal houseing. I noticed the breaker panel the neutral is isolated from the metal housing but the meter box neutral direct connects to the metal housing (should it be insulated from the metal box? Should there be grounding bus bar somewhere? Could you explain the path and connections the grnd wire takes from the grnd rod through the meter box ending at the breaker panel. Thanks Bruce
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 05:17 AM
    The neutral lug is connected directly to the meter box, must remain that way, and will have two ports for each of the neutrals, and should have a small lug for the grounding wire. The ground wire from a ground rod or city water grounding electrode can either connect to the meter neutral or at the panelboard neutral, but only if the panelboard has the main breaker in it.

If the main breaker is in the panelboard, then a jumper wire or screw must connect the neutral bar to the metal box of the panelboard. Once this happens, then the neutral bar can have both neutrals and ground wires from branch circuits connected to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own. Decided to make a few...

New 250 volt circuit, no grounding bar in main panel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have searched for this answer but I can't find a clear answer for a rookie. I am adding a 250v/20amp circuit to my main panel for a window air conditioner. I have a newer Murray main panel that was installed by an electrician, but its an old house and all the outlets are 2 prong type. So I...

Neutral connections in a junction box [ 4 Answers ]

I have a junction box with 3 circuits passing through it… Should all the neutral s be connected? The circuits are 2-15amp and a 20 amp

Why is the grounding and neutral bus bar connected in the sub panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I had an electrician come in and install a new sub panel in my house and wire up my kitchen. When he finished, I took it from there. Now that I have the rest of the house wired, its time to connect it all to the sub panel. Both the neutral bus bar and the ground bus bar (2 separate buses) seem to...

How do I instal a grounding rod to an older main panel ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who want me to instal a grounding rod on his home because he said that he was showering and when his electric furnace kicked on it kicked his , almost out of the tub, now He was tols that his home needed a grounding rod instaled to ground the house. Existing panel didn't have a...

View more questions Search