Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaDay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Insulation and ventilation
    There is no insulation whatsoever in my attic. I was wondering what kind of energy savings I would see if I insulated it. Does insulation make a difference in hot weather, or is it mainly cold weather? I live in a hot area, so warmer weather is the main concern. My home is brick, about 700 s.f. What would it cost to insulate the attic (for materials)? Do you only insulate the floor of the attic?

Also, my attic is vented on both ends with just metal vent-type things up near the roof. Is this good or bad? They don't open or close (they're just plain metal vents, always open), so I was wondering if they are supposed to be closed up in the winter? I was also wondering if I should instrall any other type of venting, like one of those turbine things (looks like a chefs hat:p ). My house is super hot in the summer and doesn't seem to "let go" of the heat very well (like when it cools off overnight, the house remains HOT ). Anything I can do about this?

I thought my home would be much more efficient because it's so small (700 s.f.), built well out of brick, has shade trees, etc. but it is far from efficient in both summer and winter. All tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 10, 2007, 08:52 PM
    It Will Be Worth The Money To Insulate, I Can't Say How Much But I Do Know A Bag Of Insulation Of R 30 Is Around 60 Bucks Maybe Less Depending On Where You Get It, The Cheapest Way Is To Hire A Insualtion Company, Often They Can Install It Cheaper Than You Can Buy It And Install It Yourself,
    As For How It Works, It Is For Both Climates, When Its Hot And You Have The Air On It Helps Keep The Cool In, When It Cold Outside And The Heats On It Keeps The Heat In,
    As For The Vents Those Are Fine, Its For Cross Ventilation, This Helps Save Your Roof From Getting To Hot And Damaging The Shingles.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:29 PM
    If you are a doit yourselfer, you can purchase the insulation at Lowe's. And I believe you can still rent the blower unit at Lowe's as well. If you do this yourself, it will take one person at the unit with it running and feeding the hopper. And one person in the attic with a respirator, or at least some type of mask and safety goggles, blowing the insulation. You only want to blow it to the edge of the ceiling. And not out to the soffit area (area past wall) and blow it anywhere from 6 to 9 inches deep. You will see a very great reduction in your energy costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat on an Attic Ventilation Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a thermostat to my attic ventilation fan. There is an on/off switch already there. When I have everything wired as the thermostat says to the fan runs all the time and within a few minutes trips the circuit. When I bypass the thermostat and just use the switch the fan runs...

Attic Ventilation when NOT have a furnace [ 14 Answers ]

My parents have baseboard heat in their single wide 1972 mobile home. They don't use the furnace (and may have taken it out I am trying to determine what they did) because my mom is very allergic to the normal propane smells/emissions/fumes that are emitted from a correctly working furnace system....

Ventilation venting into a main vet stack ? [ 1 Answers ]

Would It Be Possible To Cut A 3" Hole Into The Side Of A 6" Main Stack C.I. To Ventilate A Bathroom Fan? Building Is Brick Block / Would Rather Not Have To Go Through Wall Just To Vent A Bathroom Area. I Could Run The Tee In About 2 Feet Before It Goes Through The Roof. Thanks Any Ideas...

Ventilation in tight construction [ 2 Answers ]

I am constructing a 2500sf two story single family home on the coast in northern California where the temp remains fairly steady and cool (rarely much above 75 degrees and rarely if ever freezes)and have concerns about air quality and air depressurization and would appreciate some advice. I am...

Toilet ventilation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to vent a toilet. I have a two story house and the upstairs toilet was fine for ten years without a vent, but eventually it didn't flush properly. A vent pipe was installed, hoping to aid in flushing, but the problem was as simple as cleaning the little hole in the bottom...

View more questions Search