Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Carlos Slim-world's richest man
    I was reading Fortune last night, and I found out that Carlos Slim is now the richest man in the world.

This 67-year-old mexican man has amassed a $59 billion fortune, based on the value of his public holdings at the end of July. This number puts him just ahead of perennial No. 1, Microsoft founder Bill Gates, whose net worth is estimated to be at least $58 billion. But Gates is selling off his single greatest source of wealth, Microsoft stock, to fund his foundation, while Slim's fortune is growing at a stunning clip. His net worth jumped $12 billion this year alone. His family's holdings represent more than 5% of Mexico's 2006 gross domestic product, and Slim-controlled companies make up one-third of the $422 billion Mexican Bolsa, or stock exchange. Some people say that "He made his billions because of an extremely close and advantageous relationship with the Salinas government."

What do you think?

P.S. I bet Gates is losing some sleep on that.:D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Hello springchick:

Mexico is corrupt. I'm certain that his relationship with government was QUITE advantageous.

Bill Gates, however, isn't worried about his standing. Actually, he's given up his full time position at the company to concentrate on his foundation. He believes his job now is to give away ALL his foundations billions. Of course, you do know that he has to give away ALL of Warren Buffet's money too. He was the SECOND richest man in the world for the longest time.

Good for Gates.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello springchick:

Mexico is corrupt. I'm certain that his relationship with government was QUITE advantageous.

Bill Gates, however, isn't worried about his standing. Actually, he's given up his full time position at the company to concentrate on his foundation. He believes his job now is to give away ALL his foundations billions. Of course, you do know that he has to give away ALL of Warren Buffet's money too. He was the SECOND richest man in the world for the longest time.

Good for Gates.

excon
    Hello Excon:

I know Bill Gates is the man! :)

Deep in my heart, he is still the richest man in the world.:o

P.S. I know I am young, but "chick"... :rolleyes: is not QUITE suit for me. Could you think about any other name for me?;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:42 AM
    How old do you think I am? By looking at my pic?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Hello again:

Boy, you really want me to get into trouble, don't you? Ok, I'll bite. You look 25. But, when I add up stuff, you're over 30.

Still a youngster in my book.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:53 AM
    I would say that Gates made a decision to be philanthropic while Slim Helu has in contrast come under some criticism for his reluctance to redistribute his wealth. That is his choice and he has to live with whatever hit he takes in PR for that decision. I for one would not compel him to be generous.

It's not like he isn't doing anything. He recently announced that he would donate 1 million lap-top computers to children for education by 2008.

I was not aware of any special relationship he had with Salinas .I do know that he was able to purchase TELMEX during the move to privatization. The sale was done through a “public” auction, and although several foreign groups had offered higher amounts, Grupo Carso (Slims group) won the bid, since one of the determining requirements was that the majority ownership had to remain in Mexican hands. He has been able to pretty much monopolize the telecommunications industry there .

I do think that Mexico has benefitted from his innovations. Also; when the economy was going bad he continued to invest in Mexico. He has made most of his fortune inside the country . Most people of his wealth have moved on to international investments.

He has until recently fallen under the radar of public scrutiny and he probably prefers it that way. I suspect that much like the so-called robber barons of the early US industrialization ,his heirs will end up creating family foundations that use the family wealth for the public benefit . I think for pr purposes alone he should consider the examples of Bill Gates and before him Warren Buffet and contribute a sizeable percentage of his fortune to the public.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 10, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Hello NSG,

First of all, if you are a day over 22, I would be very surprised. You look younger than that based on your pic. (The other pics I have seen you use as your avatar made you look even younger.)

Onto the topic of this thread...

Carlos Slim Helu is a self-made billionaire. He came from a moderately prosperous background and turned that moderate prosperity into something unbelievable. He invested in the right places at the right times, and used his business sense to wring the maximum profitability out of his companies by upgrading infrastructures, modernizing technologies and keeping waste to a minimum. I liken him more to Warren Buffet, who also made his money in investment and good business practices, as opposed to Bill Gates who was an innovator of technology.

I agree with excon that Slim's relationship with the Mexican government was advantagous. But I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. He had the foresight to make those relationships. He had the wherewithal to buy the government-owned Mexican telephone system when it was privatized in 1990, and upgrade the system over the following 5 years at a cost of $10 billion. The people and government of Mexico got as much in return as Slim ever got out of the relationship between them, even if it was a corrupt relationship.

I happen to like Gates too. He's a true self-made man, and an innovator of the entire computer and telecommunications industries. I respect that. And I like Warren Buffet too, except for some of his recent comments on taxation in the USA. But I have to admitt, the more I read about Carlos Slim Helu, the more I like. What Buffet and Gates did in the riches country in the world, Slima managed to do also, and in one of the most corrupt and poverty-stricken hovels in the world. And he did it (by every account I have read) in a completely honest and fair manner, in which everyone benefitted.

So if he has been named the richest man in the world, more power to him. He's earned it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

Boy, you really want me to get into trouble, don't you? Ok, I'll bite. You look 25. But, when I add up stuff, you're over 30.

Still a youngster in my book.

excon
    Excon, you are in trouble now...
    :D
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Sep 5, 2007, 08:59 PM
    I heard that Carlos Slim surpassed Bill Gates. But Bill gives tons to charity and cares about other things more than money. If he was just a greedy jerk(not that Slim is), he would probably be much richer.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 10:18 PM
    nicespringgirl- no... grad school, right? 24-ish. Though I think some women of asian decent, like many men of african decent, can age very well. I know a thai woman who is almost 40 who could very well pass as a college student. Don't give excon a hard time with chick... it can be an endearing term and id give him the benefit of doubt. A little naughty is fun anyway, right?

To address the OP, gates doesn't give one second of a thought about this. Period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slim fast diet [ 7 Answers ]

For those of you out there who have tried the slim fast diet, what were your results? Please no answers about healthy eating and regular excersise, I know all of this, I was just wondering about results of the slim fast diet. Thank you all!!

Do you know a pills to make my body slim? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm xiana I want my body to be slim specially my shoulder bcos its getting bigger I want to be slim so that I can wear what I want. Do you know a pills that can make me slim? That is available in the Philippines?? :)

Slim fast drinks [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking at getting rid of weight around 3 to 5 stone on slim fast drinks can it be done will it make me poorly I have tried eating healthy and I'm very active I cycle 4miles or more a day I walk miles due to my job and I have a 6yr old and I'm a single mum so I'm always on the go I have had...

Slim please -- not muscular [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bit of flab around my triceps area and when I rest my arm against the side of my body it looks large and it's driving me crazy. I also have a bit of flab at my inner thigh but I'm pretty sure its lessening as I do daily about 50 squats, 25 in morning, 25 at night. Am I working out...

My boyfriend was looking for someone tall and slim but [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 7 months and we are getting along really well. There is just one thing that is really bothering me. Before we met my boyfriend was looking for someone tall and slim as he is 6ft 2 and slim himself. Im only 5ft 3 and have a normal body. (not over weight but not...

View more questions Search