Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenagan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 12:16 AM
    Get the Client login name?
    Dear all,

I need to get the Client system login name to display in each client pages..
    I have tried following code it display nothing.. :(

You are <%=Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")%>

Please anybody suggest right idea to solve this problem..

jena.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2005, 04:22 AM
    From 4GuysFromRolla (link):
    Here is the answer:

Try Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER").

And this is exactly what you should do. If you turn on the directory security through the IIS Administration Console, user's will be prompted to enter their username and password (you must have the clear text option selected if you want to make it Netsca pe compatible. You can also select the NT Challenge / Response, which will work with Internet Explorer). Once they enter their name and password, it will check to see if the user has an NT account on the webserver, and if they've entered the correct pas sword. Once they are validated, you can view who they are, exactly, using Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER").
    Have you turned on the directory security? Are you getting a popup asking for the user's name and password? That line on it's own will not retrieve their login name that they use to access the PC.
    jenagan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 10:19 PM
    It works, but problem in validate the U,name a & Password
    Thank you V.Much LTheobald,

It worked after did that changes.. but still I have problem,
    I'm working with Windows XP, IIS version 5.1.
    When I run this in a client mechine it took the login name as what I entered in the popup, and its not checking the password ever.

I actually need to validate with each PC their own login username and password.. is that possibe? Or do I need to have any domin login? Or Windows server is required?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2005, 04:06 AM
    If you want the password, use Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_PASSWORD")

I'm sure it is possible to validate a user's details against their domain but I've never done it using ASP. Try searching Google for something like "ASP user validate domain". Also check out this link - http://www.aspin.com/home/tutorial/usermanage. Hopefully you will be able to find something in there.

Sorry I can't give you something miore useful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP login failure/ boot freeze [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the Microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running: "Log...

Email (via https) Login Problem [ 3 Answers ]

Unable to login in to either Yahoo or Gmail email accounts. Also, same problem when attempting to login to any "https" site. Have disabled my firewall program (ZoneAlarm) as well as many other things (overrode cookie restrictions in both my browser and firewall settings, e.g.). My first suspicion,...

Unable to login... winxp [ 8 Answers ]

We are unable to login to any accounts on a Winxp Home machine. All accounts, (even the admin account when booting in safe mode) get to the welcome screen, and then it will say "Saving Settings" and then kick you back out to the login screen again. Doing some searching, I've found this problem,...

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login... pls help... thks!

Login Script needed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am searching for a way to send a Pop message to our customer when they log in to our server.. and these customers will be the pre paid card customers to our ISP and the pop message should be the remaining hour in their CArds. Thans for your help.

View more questions Search