Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aem22192 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2005, 03:47 PM
    A/C condensate drain clogged
    Our basement floor was flooded and water was pouring out of our 1 year old A/C unit in the basement(house is 20 years old but we just replaced the A/C unit last year). We tested the drain line and it seems to be clogged. :eek: The AC condensate drains into a closed system of a black rubber tube and disappears into the basement subflooring. There is no secondary drain connected and no place else we can see that we could even drain it to. Even after running a snake 15+ feet into the drain tube the water only drained a few inches. We have no idea where the tube goes to or what to do now. We are on a septic system but we aren't sure if it drains into that or into some separate underground pit? There isn't any smell to indicate it is connected to the sewer but we don't see any evidence of a drain outlet outside anywhere. Do we call a plumber or someone else? :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2005, 05:21 PM
    It is possible that the tubing just goes down under the floor and the condensate is expected to dissipate under the floor, or work its way to any foundation drains you have. If you can't locate any of your drains to repipe it to, you may have to buy a condensate pump to pump it up and through the basement wall where it will drain away from the house. The volume of the condensate shouldn't be enough to bother things too much. I do think it violates code to pipe it to a city sanitary sewer.

I do find myself asking if it worked the way it is for the old A/C, why doesn't it work with the new?
    aem22192 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2005, 07:35 PM
    Lots of water
    Fyi-Since we are currently collecting the condensate in a 5 gallon bucket we see just how much water there is... last night between midnight and about 5am we collected almost 5 gallons of water! I plan to call a plumber tomorrow and hopefully they can figure out what the problem is. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2005, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aem22192
    Our basement floor was flooded and water was pouring out of our 1 year old A/C unit in the basement(house is 20 years old but we just replaced the A/C unit last year). We tested the drain line and it seems to be clogged. :eek: The AC condensate drains into a closed system of a black rubber tube and disappears into the basement subflooring. There is no secondary drain connected and no place else we can see that we could even drain it to. Even after running a snake 15+ feet into the drain tube the water only drained a few inches. We have no idea where the tube goes to or what to do now. we are on a septic system but we aren't sure if it drains into that or into some separate underground pit? There isn't any smell to indicate it is connected to the sewer but we don't see any evidence of a drain outlet outside anywhere. Do we call a plumber or someone else? :confused:

In my area we run our AC condensate lines out of 3/4" PVC and terminate them outside the house to drip on the ground. It's illegal to connect condensate lines, storm drains or roof leaders to a sewer line. AC condensate lines grow a kind of jelly in them and stop up. When that happens we clear the line out by shooting compressed air through the line and then closing off the end, filling the line up with bleach and letting it set for a few hours and then blowing it out again. Hope this helps with your problem. Good luck, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2005, 08:54 PM
    A condensate pump will do the job for you. That's what I had to do since there was no other way to get the water outside. Hartell sells a good condensate pump... www.hartell.com (at least that's what my AC guy told me). If it's in your basement I'm sure there's an easy way to run some pvc to the outside

Tom
    joecooling Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 10:31 PM

YouTube - TheMightyPump's Channel
    Acdrainpump.com
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 05:59 AM

Joe Cool,
    You are responding to a 5 year old thread that's dead. Please look in the upper left hand corner for the date. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Drain Pipe clogged [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe for a washing machine that is clogged. We have tried using a garden hose with a bladder that causes it to shoot high powered water down the pipe but to no avail. Also we tried the sulferic acid concentrate with no luck. Right now we have the drain hose just hanging inside the...

Drain Pipe Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We have had trouble with the water emptying completely out of our washing machine. The drain hose goes to a drain pipe behind the washer. We discovered today the the drain pipe itself is partially blocked. We used both a Snake-It auger & commercial strength Drain Out crystals to unblock it but to...

Clogged drain in freezer section? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Magic Chef refrigerator with the freezer box on top. Model is GT15A6. There is ice inside the top of the fridge just underneath the freezer. Also there is ice inside the freezer box on the bottom. I had this problem before, and I defrosted it manually about 3 months ago, and it was...

Clogged bathroom Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. ...

Main drain clogged - I think [ 3 Answers ]

I'm new to the board, but have read several questions and responses and think you can help me. I have a one floor unit in a 4-unit condo building built in mid-1970s. Previous owner had a low-flow toilet installed at least 7 years ago. This is the toilet from hell. I have to plunge this thing at...

View more questions Search