Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needshelp07 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
    No Sound!
    OK so I've tried just about everything. My computer is a windows 98 and the sound doesn't work at all. I don't know what to do... HELP!!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Define "everything." Do you have any type of media players that may have the volume turned down? Realplayer is notorious for interfering with other audio devices, as per my experience. You must have tried going to the control panel? Or right click the speaker icon on the task bar and turn everything up. If you have access to a headphone jack, try that. If nothing else, try a different set of speakers.

Good luck!

HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Aug 9, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Take at look in the Device Manager, and check if there is an exclaimation mark beside the audio hardware.

You may need to reinstall the sound driver. Also check the audio control panel to ensure your not "muted"

If Windows 98 shows that the audio driver is there and working properly, then look for a hardware issue.

Maybe the speakers are damaged. The volume turned down. Jiggle the audio cables from the PC to the speakers, maybe loose.

Try another set of known working speakers.

Aug 9, 2007, 09:56 PM
    Well its not on mute and the volume is turned up all the way. Its says that the drivers for the PCI Multimedia Audio Device are not installed. [code 28] what does that mean?!

Well I just recently had my computer fixed and since then the sound has not been working. How do you reinstall the sound driver!? Please I really want to fix this.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 03:47 AM
    If your sound is not on mute then you can download new drivers here

Aug 11, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Umm wheres the device manager!!
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Yes, there's a Device Manager. But, if you're not familiar with the operation, seek advise before tampering. You could mess things up in a hurry. When in doubt, just close anything you open if you've aren't sure how to proceed.

Aug 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
    All right so this device manager thing. What is it? How does it work? Where do I find it on my computer?? I really am clueless when it comes to computers. All I know is that the sound doesn't work. And its not cause its on mute or the volume isn't turned up. HELP! ASAP!!
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Yes, there's a Device Manager. But, if you're not familiar with the operation, seek advise before tampering. You could mess things up in a hurry. When in doubt, just close anything you open if you've aren't sure how to proceed.
    Have you tried known good speakers? I'm not going to tell you how to mess things up until you've tried the easy stuff.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 04:56 PM
    All right, all right... If I don't, somebody will.

Right click My Computer, then select Properties, then Hardware... It's right there... gee whiz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound while watching television.sound when playing video games [ 4 Answers ]

I have no Idea what the problem could be, but if I try to watch television, which is cable, I cannot hear the sound on the television, but If I play video games, then you can hear the sound perfectly... So, it cannot be a problem with the speakers inside the television.. Could it be the cable? What...

Missing sound, can't hear cd or sound play at all? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a Compaq, win xp, this afternoon and I had sound and everything was OK? But I think while working on the computer I accidentally erased the driver that helps allow sound to come from the comp, I can't seem to find site to download the driver? Please help, I can hear it beep...

CPU fan starts, a low hum sound on speaker and a vroom sound from cpu/fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new pentium 4 3.0 Ghz motherboard with 256 ram, connected everything as directed on the manual and plugged the power connector then started the computer. The fan starts then nothing else. All I hear is a very low hum/beep sound from the computer speaker which is immediately...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

View more questions Search