Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
    401k change or leave alone
    I have noticed the Dow if falling pretty hard lately. And so is my 401k. Should I change my investments, or is it better to leave it alone?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 04:48 PM
    In my opinion, if your portfolio is diverse enough, and many are, leave it alone. I believe this is a correction and you should look at the long term. It's not always easy, but if you're not a day-trader, you should just try to be patient. I'm not an expert, but have sat on stocks when others have said sell, and over the years, they've always gone up. But it does take time...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Yes, don't have all of it in one money market, spread it around.

The question is how soon are you going to retire, over long term, the dow has always gone up, it will have down periods, which is actually great time to buy more, for when it goes up.

But any investment paying over 3 percent has its risk basically

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Why did he leave me? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem... I want to know the reason for my ex leaving me. He told me it is just something that happened beyond his control and this however, is not a valid reason. I thought things were going great with us and it was totally unexpected when he dumped me. I kind of think he did it because...

Does 401K Loan Interest Change Basis? [ 8 Answers ]

Does the loan interest repaid to a 401K increase the basis of the 401K since the interest paid to your account is actually after tax income?

Should I leave? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together almost 4 years and we have a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 5 month old girl. When we first got together he asked me to go to las vegas to get married and I told him no because my family would be furious. I find out a few months ago that he was joking, that if I...

Do I really want to leave her? [ 8 Answers ]

I recently broke up with my girlfriend/fiance of one year. Our relationship moved very quickly and we moved in together 4 months after going out for the first time. I honestly thought it was love at first sight. There are a lot of qualities about her that I adore and truly miss; after all, I do...

View more questions Search