Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Repeat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Is this Vent OK?
    Is this OK to do? It will be a 2" vent line. Sump Basin will have it own vent and pumps up to where the line goes out. All the other fixtures vent from the sink and the sink ties between the shower and toilet.
    Attached Images

doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:45 PM
    No
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Aug 10, 2007, 06:09 PM
    I'm not a licensed plumber, but I've been reading codes lately for my own, similar project.

Your idea to "vent" the bathroom group back into the line out to the septic tank won't work.

The reason it won't work is because that line to the septic is NOT a vent... it will occasionally be full of flowing water (upstairs shower, toilet etc) and at that point I believe that it's even possible that the falling water could force water/air to bubble OUT of your downstairs sink.

This will be smelly, nasty and possibly dangerous air. You don't want that.

There are such things as "wet vents" but they are only allowed for short distances, and have particular size and number of bend restrictions, and in no case would they look like your diagram. Go to Home Depot (or equiv) and get one of the "Code Check" books. That will give you a good idea of what you should be thinking about.

The codes are the way they are to make sure that the plumbing installed (usually by someone you hire) works like you want it to, and are to protect you... even though it may seem like a bit of an unnecessary pain in the sometimes...

Sorry, didn't mean to get preachy... but some people would try to skirt or avoid the code, when really that's a bad idea cause it ends up being a system that doesn't work right.

Anyhow, you'll need a totally separate vent line to the roof for the sewage pit. I don't know why, myself... but that's what I've been told several times.

Good luck!

~aaron
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeat
    Is this ok to do? It will be a 2" vent line. Sump Basin will have it own vent and pumps up to where the line goes out. All the other fixtures vent from the sink and the sink ties inbetween the shower and toilet.
    What do I find wrong with your layout? Let me count the ways! Although you claim the pit has its own dedicated vent you show the pip and fixture vent combined. And last, you have connected the vent directly back into the very drainage system that you wish to vent so that5 when a fixture discharges it will suck sewer gas back into your system instead of fresh air.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent. [ 1 Answers ]

Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

Wet Vent Lav with Shower Vent [ 1 Answers ]

You mention many times that you can wet vent your shower by attaching it to your vented lav drain. Are there any problems doing it the other way around, venting your lav by attaching it to your vented shower drain?

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

View more questions Search