Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmcy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Redirecting downspout (diverting)
    Hi all,

Due to recent heavy rains, the drain in my backyard doesn't empty quickly enough and result ends up being the water backflows (?) through my shower in the basement. Used to be the toilet but the shower there is now at a lower level than the toilet.

So, my question is... the downspout for the roof gutter currently runs into the drain that is right by my basement door. Can I divert that downspout out to my backyard? My dad is telling me it might be a city violation (nyc) to do so.

Thanks for any info!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Something is very wrong with this picture. Your downspout should not be even remotely connected to your sewer. If I'm understanding your situation you already have a code violation here. Am I understanding your situation correctly, downspout goes into the sewer?
    kmcy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Would it be considered the sewer?

My backyard has steps leading down to the basement door. There's a drain there. The downspout goes into the same area.

This was how it was when we bought it and looking at the neighbors houses next to mine (all built in the same fashion), their downspouts go into the same area.

But, like I mentioned above.. I do want to redivert the downspout so it goes out into the backyard/garden area instead of the drain area. Just not sure if that was legal.. or that should have been the case to begin with!

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
    "Would it be considered the sewer?"

Of course it's connected to the sewer if it's backing up in your shower

"my question is ... the downspout for the roof gutter currently runs into the drain that is right by my basement door. can i divert that downspout out to my backyard? my dad is telling me it might be a city violation (nyc) to do so."

In my area you would be cited for a connection such as you described. YOU MAY NOT discharge ANYTHING but sewage and gray water into the sewer system. There's a reason for this. The utilities company has to process the rain water just the same as solid sewage. And you wonder why your utility bill's so high! Divert the downmspout out to your back yard. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Shower Diverter not completely diverting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I recently replaced all the valves on a three stem shower system, a hot, cold and a central diverter stem. They are SAYCO stems, specifically, part number 9B-3H and 9B-3C for hot and cold, and 9B-5D for the diverter. All readily available at Home Depot or Lowe's. After struggling to get...

Redirecting history [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to redirect deleted history so you can retrieve it later

Redirecting air conditiong [ 1 Answers ]

I am converting my garage to a studio, my garage is on a slab so I have to take the air conditioning from under my house into the garage and up to the top plate for above door vents. My question is can I just run duct for this or do I need another fan to force the air up to the top plate.

View more questions Search