Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeeva86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2005, 07:57 PM
    90 Accord Manual won't start
    Hi guys, I've read alotta threads here regarding starting problems which was related to the main relay.. but I'm still confused, as my problem is a bit different.

When I turned key to start, it made clicking noise and then like a power failure.. lights would pop and go once.. I couldn't get it to start.. had to push start it.. it's a 90 accord lx M/T.. anybody have any suggestions.. could it be the main relay that has to be resoldered?

I'm not sure because, I even let it take a break for 3-4 hours as it is parked underground basement, same result.. everytime I try to crank it, power goes on and off.. they slowly dim in and out as I try to crank it.. lights, radio and breaks all work fine.. not sure what the problem is

I've had problems starting the car before.. my mechanic said something was wrong with the ignition switch, I think.. so he connected a wire from the starter motor and left it aside under my hood and said if it doesn't start.. turn the ignition on and leave car in manual to avoid hault and pop the hood and connect the other end of the wire to one of the battery terminals, now I did this several times and the car started this way, but now I can't remember which side I have to connect it to?. red or black?. because I think I remember tapping it to the red.. but then I was told it should be connected to black.. but I can quite tell it was the red because it has the rubber cover over it and I usually lift it and tap it there to start it.. anyways.. I didn't want to spend much money on the car to replace the parts.. but I had that funny clicking noise when trying to start it today after turning it off for a 10 second lift.. the radio and lights were working.. but I couldn't turn on the emergency signal at first.. it gave that same clicking noise.. and in the end I had to jump start it.. and after parking the car right away.. same problem happened, so I just left the car in the garage..

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.. thanks

Aug 13, 2005, 08:39 PM
    I just noticed under the dashboard the following thing:
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 14, 2005, 05:24 AM
    Not saying this is your problem, but you might want to check this out.

Those two wires you're referring to, is it on a clutch pedal assembly? Hondas have a switch on a clutch pedal, that will let electricity through when the clutch is pressed, and allows the ECU to register it - thus allowing the car to start. Perhaps a previous owner (or whoever did that) wanted to bypass that switch.

Black box is an ECU (Electronic Control Unit)... it's a computer that runs your car. Someone has been messing with it, since all the wires that are there MUST NOT be cut.

Was there a previous owner of the car, who did an engine swap on it?

Aug 14, 2005, 05:33 AM
    I'm not sure what the clutch pedal assembly is.. those two wires are hanging from up top.. there's a lot of wires around there with electrical tape used too.. but the wires from the ECU are not CUT.. it's just the purple one.sorry for the diagram.. the rest of them are taped and connected to wherever.. it's only the purple that is d/c.. and I have no idea what the previous owner did to the car.. I've had this car for about 8 years now
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 14, 2005, 06:41 AM
    Well, if someone was messing with it before you, who knows what he did to the wires (they must have been cut if they're now taped)... it would be a major project finding out what he did to the car.

Can you define where the wires are going to (the ones under the steering wheel)? Where does the lower (copper wire) connect to? Did you ever use it before?

Is there another end of the purple wire from the ECU? Can you trace it where it goes to? Can you at least say which pin EXACTLY does the cut piece connect to? Perhaps we could find a diagram of ECU connectors and see what that wire is used for and if it's anything important.

Aug 14, 2005, 05:50 PM
    Hey I just had a mechanic look at it today.. and the black box wasn't the ECU.. it was related to my alarm box.. which I never used.. so he snapped it off.. but you car works now because of built in switch.. he said how both the relays have gone bad or something but then he also mentioned the clutch switch.. so you.. then he took out the starter motor and tested it and it worked.. so he put that back in.. and you know the wire I mentioned which was coming out of there.. ya.. it is now connected to the battery with a switch, which is located under the steering wheel.. so you I have to use that switch to start the car now.. it won't start reg... thanks for the help though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda Accord won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought a 92 honda accord ex and it has been giving me starting troubles. In Dec, the mechanic figured it out a the distributor problem and I got a new one put in. But a month and a half later.. again it won't start. The mechanic again thinks it is the distributor or the computer (after...

96 honda accord won't start. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 96 honda accord ex which had a blown engine. I swapped over another engine and was able to get it to run twice, but since then, it just cranks over and feels like it wants to start up but then dies again. I'm getting spark, timing isn't an issue. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail but it...

93' Accord does not want to start [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings to all, To start with, I just want to say that I have read the other threads and did what I could but could not fix the problem. I have a 93' Accord. It has a ~177K Km on its odometer. It runs very smoothly and normally starts with one engine crank. No problems on the highway, can...

My Honda Accord Will Not Start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a accord 19991 dx model 4 door and will not start I have had to make spark happen at starter and hit starter with hammer and then will start but it does sound weak. I am not sure if it is the starter itself. I have heard about starter relay. I might have to take to honda for fixing but not...

View more questions Search