Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjyy2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Theft under $5000 and Diversion Program
    I was charged with theft under $5000 5 days ago and was required to attend the court one month later. I asked legal aids and I know there is a "Diversion Program" for 1st time offenders - I was told mostly you just need to make a charitable donation. I just wonder anyone knows how I should join this program, what is the minimum amount of the donation, and what if they refused my request for this program ?

Another thing is the store where I was caught (home depot) said they will sue me. I wonder what will happen to me if they sue me. I am in Toronto, thanks a lot for any advices !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 07:01 AM
    No place I have worked as a Police officer had a program where you can donate money as part of a diversion program.

But if they don't accept you in a diversion program you will pay a fine and perhaps get probation
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Go to the court where you were ordered to appear and ask about the Diversion programs. No its just a matter of making a donation. There will probably be restitution a fine and maybe some commuity service. You will be on probation for a period. After probation your record will be expunged.

But Canada seems very liberal about such programs for first offenders.
    jjyy2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Just a follow-up for this and hope it helps some people.

I was referred to a diversion program. There were 2 things for me to complete :

1) donate $100 to any charity org
    2) write a 2 pages essay about shoplift

That's it. Today was my last court day - and the charge against me has been stayed.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000.. : ( [ 20 Answers ]

Hey, I just got caught stealing from the Bay (HBC). I was first put under arrest.. brought into the back of the store and they took all of my information etc. etc. They checked my criminal record and everything, and since I don't have one they did not charge me but I'm not allowed going into...

Theft Under $5000 - Diversion [ 3 Answers ]

In Ontario, would I be eligible for a diversion if it was a first offence apprehension of theft under $5,000. Totalling a bad judgment error. I have not received any police papers as of yet nor have I been fingerprinted and no officer was present.

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Diversion Program in Maryland [ 2 Answers ]

Theft totally about 15k paid it all back before arrested can the charges be dropped before charged... and what is the Diversion Program?

Theft under 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Please help about 2 months ago me and two friends stole 2 tires from a car dealer we see now how stupid it was the cops keep phoning me wanting me to come in and talk to them I already went once and they said I was being investigated for theft under 5000. I'm 17 my friends are 17 and ones 18. Do...

View more questions Search