Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2005, 10:56 AM
    Power for 2 seconds before shutting down
    Hi all,

I've got a problem with my PC and I was wondering if some people wouldn't mind taking some stabs at what they think it could be.

I brought a nice case for my PC the other day and transferred everything over along with adding some more RAM and a new HD. I got everything up and running but my new SATA hard drive was causing a few troubles. I was changing a few leads around and changing a few SATA related settings in my BIOS when I started to get power issues. A couple of times when I tried to restart the PC (to save BIOS changes), the PC would come to life and the fans would start to rotate. Then normally my monitor would kick in and some fans (motherboard or graphics card I believe) would jump down a notch. A few times this didn't happen and I had to unplug the power cord to the PC before I could get it to work properly again.

I got it back to work, changed some BIOS settings again and pressed restart. This time, the fans would start to run then all power would cut out. It would then start itself again 5 seconds later. Then it would get into a loop of powering up then shutting down till I pulled the plug.

I removed every lead and started to plug them in one by one. When just the motherboard was getting power, it was fine. As soon as I plugged in the square (2x2), 12v lead that feeds power to the processor via the motherboard, the problem started again.

Does anyone believe I could have fried the motherboard or the processor? I'm going to get a new power supply tomorrow to test the problem but obviously if somebody could give me a better idea of what it is I'd appreciated it.

Cheers,
    Lee
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 14, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Sounds like a tricky one this, but one thing to try is to reset the CMOS memory - there should be something in the Motherboard manual to describe this. This will reset the motherboard to the default state, hopefully if any settings in the bios were wrong they will be sorted. Try to boot with the absolute minimum plugged in - ram, cpu & graphics. Pull everything else out and see what happens. If this doesn't give you anything you may have a problem with your mobo or cpu!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2005, 01:20 AM
    Tried a new PSU - didn't help.
    Reset the BIOS using the jumper I have on my mobo, no good :(

I tried unplugging everything and starting again. For a while I had a different problem - but essentially the PC didn't start. Then after a while the same problem came back. I'm thinking the motherboard got fried. Time to take it to the repair shop I think. Let somebody with some experience deal with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It always shutting off... Help! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there this is not really about software, but its about computer hope someone can help me... My prob is my monitor so many times that it always automatically shutting off or should I say blacking out... just like when you turn off your PC but the mine is I didn't shut off my PC but my monitor...

A/C shuts off after a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday, our A/C shut off and would not come back on. It shows on the digital thermostat that the fan is blowing cool (two different icons that appear and move) but the unit is NOT on. After leaving it off for the afternoon, my husband was able to turn it back on, but this lasted 30 seconds...

Shutting Down Computer [ 2 Answers ]

?? After disconnecting from the internet, I cannot shut down the computer from the "start" button.  A gray box comes up - "Outlook HTML Menu - This program is not responding.  It maybe busy, waiting on a response from you, or it may have stopped running".  Clicking on "wait, end task, or close"...

Internet explorer hangs for 20 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

On every page, internet explorer says it is done on the left hand corner but freezes for 20 seconds and won't let you do anything. Checked for viruses and all and are virus free. HELP!

View more questions Search