Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dinabruce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Bonus Taxes, do they have to be 25%
    When taxing a bonus that is over 1,200, does it have to be taxed by law at 25% or do they actually go up to 33%.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Withholding on bonuses is typically at 25%, as long as the bonus is identifed as a separate payment from your regular pay. The following is from IRS Pub 15, dealing with withholding on suppllemental income (i.e. bonuses):

1. If you withheld income tax from an employee's regular wages, you can use one of the following methods for the supplemental wages.

a. Withhold a flat 25% (no other percentage allowed).

b. Add the supplemental and regular wages for the most recent payroll period this year. Then figure the income tax withholding as if the total was a single payment. Subtract the tax already withheld from the regular wages. Withhold the remaining tax from the supplemental wages. If there were other payments of supplemental wages (after the last payment of regular wages but before the current payment of supplemental wages), aggregate all the payments, calculate the tax on the total, subtract the tax already withheld from the regular wages and the previous supplemental wages, and withhold the remaining tax.

2. If you did not withhold income tax from the employee's regular wages, use method 1-b above. This would occur, for example, when the value of the employee's withholding allowances claimed on Form W-4 is more than the wages.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Ebaines covers it rather well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on Bonus [ 3 Answers ]

If I have no dependents, How much will I pay in taxes if I have a $7100 dollar bonus, and how much will I get after taxes are taken out? I live in Oklahoma. Thanks

Taxes on Bonus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, In early 2007, I have received a bonus ($1,000). When this bonus was paid, I did not pay any taxes on it. This was processed by Paychex. As a J1 visa holder, I understand why I did not pay Social Security, Medicare and NYC taxes, but I also did not have to pay Federal and New York State...

Taxes on Bonus [ 2 Answers ]

If I get a bonus at the end of the year will the same amount of taxes be taken out of the bonus as usual? Also, I had heard that if you work for your parents at own their own corporation than you could be exempt from paying Social Security and Medicare taxes. What would the pros and cons for...

Military bonus Taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Hey You, Getting ready to reenlist in the navy for around 21k. I claim PA residency s I won't pay state taxes but I was wondering how much would be taken for federal tax. And how much I could be looking to get back on my tax return for the year after I reenlist. Thanks for any help. I am married...

Sign-on bonus - taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live and work in nyc and am considering taking a position with a company in New Jersey. They are offering me a sign-on bonus and I was curious what percentage I would need to pay in taxes and if that would be deducted up-front. Is a sign-on bonus treated the same as a "regular" bonus...

View more questions Search