Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teebo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2005, 01:25 PM
    (problem solved) Monitor "standbying" after replacement of fans
    This problem has been solved - solution at the bottom.

My PC:
    Windows XP Home
    AMD 64 3000+
    1 GB RAM
    NVIDIA 6800 LE 128 MB
    Asus K8N motherboard
    - and I never clock
    ---------------
    I recently did the following to my PC:
    - replaced my noisy CPU fan with a better, more silent one
    - replaced my 300 W power supply with the best from Hiper (580 W I think)
    - replaced my terrible video card fan with a Thermaltake fanless cooling set (keeping it below 50 degrees)

(Before I got everything working with the new parts, I started the PC a few times with only beeping as the result (but quickly turned it off). One time I had forgotten to give the Asus its power :rolleyes:, and the other time I forgot to give the video card power.)

MY PROBLEM:
    My monitor now goes into standby-mode immediately after starting the PC, and never snaps out of it. I checked that the fan-power input on the video card delivers power. All fans run fine (and silently :p) - but this ain't worth much as I can't see SH*T on my monitor. :confused:
    Please help me solve the problem. I read somewhere that the BIOS can get reset at power accidents etc... but anyway, what are your suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    - teebo
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2005, 06:34 PM
    Stand by works off the horizontal or verticle snyc signals. Wiggle the video card around in its slot with the power off, and try it. If that doesn't help, maybe by that time some of the good people here will have answered.

Aug 13, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Thank you for the reply.
    More important info:

I have tested the PC with a different video card (an a bit older nVIDIA), but this didn't help.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 13, 2005, 12:46 PM
    Is the machine booting up or even POSTing?

If not, reseat _everything_ -- power cables, IDE cables, RAM sticks, PCI cards -- the lot. It is possible something is just loose in its slot.

Aug 13, 2005, 01:32 PM
    The things I observe when I start the computer, are that all fans start to hum, the monitor goes on, but immediately goes into standby. Then it just stands there humming. I have no startup sound, so I can't tell if it's getting into Windows.
    I do not know what POSTing is :o

Thank you for the tip, I'll try turning all power off and reseat everything well, then turn the power back on and start up. It'll be a few days until I see my PC again (moving) but I'll report back as soon as I've tried this.

Aug 17, 2005, 09:45 AM
    Problem solved
    The problem is now solved - I found that the CPU was not properly inserted, and that in fact, a few of the pins on the CPU were bent! (So actually, none of the PCs components other than the fans (power) were working).
    I managed to bend them back without breaking anything. Lucky.

So thanks for the tip - something was indeed loose in its slot!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2005, 01:11 AM
    I've been experiencing a similar problem recently. Guess I better check my CPU too. Cheers for posting the result and well done for editing the post to show it was solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Monitor not working "No Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means) It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional All I get is a “No Signal” message on the...

Monitor keeps turning off until "warmed up" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I'm having an annoying problem with my monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer and enter Windows XP my monitor will keep turning off an on for a minute or two until it is warmed up. It also does this when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will turn off and I'll have to...

Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is...

View more questions Search