Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2005, 08:24 AM
    Download to lock screen from child
    Anyone know of a simple download that will let me lock the computer up so my 2 year old cannot mess with it if he gets into the office unsupervised?

Maybe one that kicks in after a set time or can be set manually...

PC, windows XP

Did a search and found mostly security programs that were much more than I'm looking for. Just need a baby blocker.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 12, 2005, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    anyone know of a simple download that will let me lock the computer up so my 2 year old cannot mess with it if he gets into the office unsupervised?

maybe one that kicks in after a set time or can be set manually...

PC, windows XP

did a search and found mostly security programs that were much more than i'm looking for. just need a baby blocker.
    Errm would a simple passworded screen saver do as this is already built in to XP and most other OS's!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2005, 09:29 AM
    anyone know of a simple download that will let me lock the computer up so my 2 year old cannot mess with it if he gets into the office unsupervised?

maybe one that kicks in after a set time or can be set manually...

PC, windows XP

did a search and found mostly security programs that were much more than i'm looking for. just need a baby blocker.
    You don't need anything more than XP. Setup separate user accounts. Then put a screen saver on the accounts so it reverts back to the Welcome screen after a short period of inactivity.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2005, 07:55 PM
    Um. Ya. Thanks.

I actually did this at my previous work computer. Cannot tell you why I forgot. Dum. Dum. Dum. Dum. Way too young to be losing my mind.

Thanks for the advice. Now if you can help me undo the damage my 2 year old has done to my mind...

Aug 13, 2005, 03:37 AM
    Now if you can help me undo the damage my 2 year old has done to my mind...
    You think your mind is damaged now?? All you have now is sleep deprivation. Wait until the teenage years!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2005, 07:46 AM
    2 yr old
    Hi,
    Have you considered just simply unplugging the computer?
    After you are finished with the computer, and shut down, just reach around to the back of the computer, and remove the power cord.
    Your 2 yr old then cannot turn it on.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 13, 2005, 11:01 AM
    You can do that, but quite honestly, ScottGem's advice is just easier and faster without having to constantly shut down the computer and crawl under a desk to unplug it.

Aug 13, 2005, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wzartv
    You can do that, but quite honestly, ScottGem's advice is just easier and faster without having to constantly shut down the computer and crawl under a desk to unplug it.
    Thanks, WZ. Another example of Fred's trying to pad his numbers by posting a ridiculous and superfluous answer.

While I have recommended pulling the plug, its usually in the case of an older child and the recommendation was to take the plug and lock it away. Pulling the plug in this case seems WAY overkill.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2005, 03:57 PM
    hmm...

unplugging the computer... OK, I'm trying to keep the computer accessible... just not to the naughty boy... in this line of thinking I suppose I could throw the breaker too, but that's just a little bit much, don't you think?

I'm much happier with the suggestion that doesn't require me to boot up the computer every flippin time I need it throughout the day.

and scott - already been through the teenage years. Got a 21 month old and a 19 year old. And there's not a lot of difference between them sometimes. =)

Aug 14, 2005, 03:52 AM
    KP,

Yeah I hear you. Though I think there is a difference, not in the amount of angst, just in the nature of it :D.

Yeah, one of the volunteers here, just likes to see his name in print so much that he posts anytime he thinks he might be able to contribute without regard to the quality of the contribution.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2005, 04:47 AM
    One thing I just want to add as it is possible the child could get to the PC before the screensaver kicks in. You can lock the PC by using the windows key + L (the windows key is between CTRL and ALT). Can't remember the longer way of doing it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2005, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    One thing I just want to add as it is possible the child could get to the PC before the screensaver kicks in. You can lock the PC by using the windows key + L (the windows key is between CTRL and ALT). Can't remember the longer way of doing it.
    Cool quick tip! Thanks. The longer way is: ctrl-atl-del, click on Lock Computer, but I like your way better.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2005, 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the tip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Is it an air lock? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a leaking isolator valve that is connected to my bath hot water tap, so I decided to change it. I turned-off the cold water mains and opened the hot water taps in the bathroom and kitchen to drain the system. I have the cold water tanks in the loft and the hot water cylinder in the bathroom....

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Air lock? [ 2 Answers ]

I am pumping water half a mile through 22mm pipework at mains pressure over a hill 20ft high and it then drops 60ft where the water comes out in at varying pressures and occasionally stops for a few seconds. Could this be caused by air trapped in the pipe at the top of the hill? The water runs...

View more questions Search