Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BadBoyTray Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Removing My CD Drive
    How do I erase my Cd Drive and then re-install it back?. cause it won't read cd's

Aug 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
    I Want To Remove My CD Drive And Install It Back
    Anybody can help me pleaaaseee
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Aug 7, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyTray
    anybody can help me pleaaaseee
    I dont understand why you are posting the same question again. You have already posted it earlier (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cd-dvd...e-117539.html).
    It will be better to stick with one post rather than duplicating it. Try to explain your problems properly so the experts on that field will be able to help you. If you want to edit your question you can do it instead of posting a fresh question.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Switch off your PC > Unscrew the case > Unscrew the CD Drive > pull it out. To put it back do it from last to beginning.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:41 AM
    It should be a CD-RW and the CD drive should also be a rewritable. Get Nero and they have options to erase rewritable discs and you can also write the disc easily!
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Just erase a CD, or did you want to uninstall the drive and reinstall it?

If the drive won't read CD's anymore, it's probably a problem with the drive itself, and needs either cleaning, or replacement. Nonetheless, the following steps should (SHOULD) allow you to remove and reinstall a standard CDROM drive on windows XP.

1. Right clik My Computer, go to Properties.
    2. Go to the Hardware tab, click on Device Manager.
    3. Click the plus sign next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    4. Right click the drive you want to uninstall, and click 'Uninstall'
    -A box will ask you if you are sure, click yes
    5. Right click on the computer at the top of the list, choose 'Scan for Hardware Changes'

It should (SHOULD.. again) recognize the CD drive and reinstall it automatically, though a reboot may be required for this to happen.

Be advised, though, if there IS a hardware problem with the drive itself, it may not reinstall properly.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 8, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Bah.. two threads. Is this the main, now? See the other one for details on how to uninstall and reinstall the drive in windows (software only)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 8, 2007, 01:32 PM
    >Threads Merged<

Aug 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
    A retso that didn't work
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Aug 8, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyTray
    a retso that didnt work
    Before uninstalling and reinstalling the cd drive go through the Microsoft link which will be of help to you to solve the problem.
    How to troubleshoot common problems that may occur when a Windows XP-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Win 2003: Permanent drive letter 4 removable drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have set up a backup system on Windows 2003 Server using 2 hot-swap removable drive drawers with hard drives in them. I have a pair of backup drives for each day of the week, with one drive imaging the OS partition and the other drive imaging the data partition. The system is working beautifully...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Drive belt drive diagram [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a diagram of the belt drive for mtd 18hp. 42" riding mower for free.

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

View more questions Search