Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsouder Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 09:33 PM
    Leaking Shower
    My upstairs shower drain leaks such that if I use it, water comes out of a can light in my living room.

The shower base is a mustee. The drain is molded into the base and the pipe was held in by a rubber doughnut (compression fit). Not being able to find a new doughnut at the home depot and not knowing much about shower drains (at the time) I called a plumber. He said he had never seen such a shower base and recommended I replace it.

He put in the temporary fix of removing the doughnut and replacing it with a plastic fitting which he fastened to the pipe with the purple primer and glue... then ran a bead of caulk to try and seal it off. That fix has prevented the pipe from falling out of the shower base, but has not stopped the leak. I have since tried removing his caulk and filling the entire gap between the added fitting and shower base with silicone. This has also failed to stop the leak.

Does anyone have any advice short of replacing the shower pan with one of the screw-in drain variety?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2005, 07:38 AM
    QUOTE=rsouder]My upstairs shower drain leaks such that if I use it, water comes out of a can light in my living room.

The shower base is a mustee. The drain is molded into the base and the pipe was held in by a rubber doughnut (compression fit). Not being able to find a new doughnut at the home depot and not knowing much about shower drains (at the time) I called a plumber. He said he had never seen such a shower base and recommended I replace it.

He put in the temporary fix of removing the doughnut and replacing it with a plastic fitting which he fastened to the pipe with the purple primer and glue... then ran a bead of caulk to try and seal it off. That fix has prevented the pipe from falling out of the shower base, but has not stopped the leak. I have since tried removing his caulk and filling the entire gap between the added fitting and shower base with silicone. This has also failed to stop the leak.

Does anyone have any advice short of replacing the shower pan with one of the screw-in drain variety?[/QUOTE]

Your plumber should have ordered out a replacement drain seal, (doughnut) for the drain. Since you failed to provide me with details on pipe materal I'll give you the Drain seal order numbers for both.
    Drain Seal Part# 32.405 for 1/1/2" PVC or ABS
    Drain Seal Part# 32.404 for 2" copper
    Contact Mustee and order the seal that you need and call your plumber back. There should be no charge for the call back as he didn't fix it the first time. Good luck, Tom

Aug 12, 2005, 09:44 PM
    Quick question...

Short of getting the plumber back, how can I separate the fitting which the plumber attached to the waste pipe (pvc) with glue... or can I? The shower is in a second story bathroom and I'm trying to avoid having to cut into my living room ceiling.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsouder
    Quick question....

Short of getting the plumber back, how can i separate the fitting which the plumber attached to the waste pipe (pvc) with glue... or can I? The shower is in a second story bathroom and I'm trying to avoid having to cut into my living room ceiling.
    The only way to undo a PVC glue joint is to cut it out. However, I might have a easy out for you if you can get to the leak. There's a product on the market called Pow-R-Wrap
    This is a tape made especially for problems such as yours. Check it out at;
    http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...geID=&CatID=10
    Let me know how you make out. Good luck, Tom

Aug 13, 2005, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    The only way to undo a PVC glue joint is to cut it out.
    That's what I was afraid of. I think, I'm probably going to wind up having to cut my ceiling. I was trying to avoid cutting the ceiling because it was clearly done with some pattern tool which I don't have.

The tape looks like it could be useful once I get access to the bottom of the shower.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking shower faucet and tried to take faucet apart to change the o-ring but was not able to takeout more than a cover for the screw and the screw that was under it. I have not located the ORING CAN any one please help. I have a symmons Temptrol brand.:confused: You need to replace...

Shower pan leaking [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Our shower pan has failed for the second time. We thought the detailed construction this second time would prevent a repeat of the failure. It has not: The Shower was built over 2x4 studs, cement slab, concrete backboard (over 1 foot tall) nailed to studs. A rubberized sheet (unknown...

Shower pan leaking ? [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Shower stall leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be leaking at front by door. Do all shower stalls need concrete it seems to have give in the floor at this time has nothing under shower base what to do?

View more questions Search