Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    divine_rider Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Why did he get mad that I went on a date with another man?
    I was casually dating a man (Man #1) for about 4 months, we were not committed to each other and it was more of a "booty call" situation than anything else. We had even discussed that if things did not work out we would always be friends.

I had not seen or talked to him in over a month when I ran into him at a restaurant. We had a couple of drinks together and really good conversation. Then he asked what I was doing after and I told him I was going home. He was a little surprised that I turned him down. However, I had started dating a new man (Man #2) about a 2 weeks prior to that. I had an amazing first date with Man #2 and we continue to see each other almost daily and talk on the phone constantly. At this point in my life, I am looking for a relationship and not just a "booty call" situation.

A week later, I was out at a restaurant with Man #2 and some of our friends. Man #1 ended up being at the same restaurant. He talked to one of my friends and he was really angry that I was there with someone else.

My question is: Where did I go wrong? The fact that I had not seen or talked to Man #1 in over a month meant to me that the "relationship" or "booty call" was over. He and I were never committed to each other. Did I do something wrong by starting to date someone else when I had not heard from him in over a month?

Also, I do care about Man #1 and I want to continue to be friends with him. Should I call him to clear the air? If so, what should I say? :confused:
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Aug 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
    It sounds like man #1 was jealous, and might want more of the relationship than a booty call. What you can do is ask him why he is acting this way. Ask him if he wants more than just sex. If he wants to spark a real relationship with you then you'll have a dilemma on which one you want to choose. Or if you just want to be friends with him, tell him that. Most guys want to be the only one in a woman's life even if it is just a booty call. The best way to know what he is feeling is to just ask.:)

Aug 7, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Thank you Otto186... your right, the best way to know what someone is thinking is to just ask. I guess I was just feeling like I did something wrong and I am unsure of how he will respond.

Do you think I did something wrong by moving on? Especially since I hadn't seen him in over a month?

Aug 7, 2007, 04:22 PM
    I don't think you did anything wrong considering the fact that all you thought it was was a booty call, and you hadn't seen him in over a month. If I was dating someone casually and didn't hear from them for over a month I would probably move on too.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
    You did nothing wrong. He is the jealous type and its probably a good thing your not further involved with him.

Continue doing what your doing. As long as your honest no one should mind.

Aug 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Thanks Skell... Do you think that possibly he was hurt and that he did not realize I had already moved on? Part of the reason I am having a hard time with this is that if it had been more of a relationship than a "booty call" I would have never moved on... :(

Aug 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Was the decision to not make this a relationship yours or his? If it was his it sounds like it was his loss.

Aug 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
    It wasn't really anyone's decision... we just kind of lost touch. We never discussed that it was over but neither of us contacted the other.

On my part, I guess I have been ruined by the idea that if he wants you he will do anything to see you and if he doesn't call then "he's just not that into you"---so I basically didn't contact him and just let it go.

Aug 7, 2007, 04:48 PM
    In all honesty I am a man so I know how we are and our jealousy issues can get out of control sometimes. If he is showing jealousy when you aren't even in a relationship it is probably best that you two don't talk anymore. Trust is a big part of a relationship and if he shows a lot of jealousy he obviously wouldn't trust you even if you were in a relationship.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Since you lost touch and you deemed this relationship a booty call, you were obviously not invested in the relationship. However, that does not mean that he was not hoping for something more and now is hurt and jealous that you have moved on.

You have done nothing wrong by seeing someone new. You were not in a committed relationship. That being said I think you should concentrate on your new relationship and let guy #1 cool down a bit. You don't really owe guy #1 anything, and you owe it to yourself and the new guy to give this new relationship your all.

Best of luck!

Aug 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Thanks Everyone! Basically, I should have communicated my feelings with Man #1 a month ago... then at that point, he could have told me that he was into me to or that he didn't have feelings for me other than sexual. I guess I wasn't ready to hear the answer so I just let it go. Although I still have feelings for Man #1, I have moved on and Man #2 is great!

It is hard living in a smallish town and I hope to not run into Man #1 too often...
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 05:05 PM
    I think you have figured out already divine rider. I have a feeling you are just looking validation that you are right. I agree with everyone that he got jealous and territorial. He might have thought that whenever you were not with him you were sitting at him by the phone just waiting for his call. Little did he realize you were out there dating another man.

I agree with you as well that if he didn't call for a whole month then clearly he was not that serious about you. It maybe have been wounded pride more then anything.

Good luck with man #2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I date this bipolar man? [ 3 Answers ]

I have heard a lot of horror stories about bipolar disorder. I met this guy who seems so very great. Hes super sweet and thoughtful and he's everything I asked for in a guy. The problem is he says he's bipolar and won't take meds cause they make him feel like a zombie. I really really like...

I am Mad! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a problem w/ my mom she shows favortism towards her grandchildren! If I ask her she acts as if I am in the wrong. She also does little things to put one of my kids down.And she is always trying to find excuses to get mad at me. I am sick of her mean ways. Please Help I need some advice....

Was she mad at us? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Shih tzu that I have had since she was 14 months old. We are her third home and final! I regularly have her groomed and have had her shaved a couple of times this summer and she does fine. This time she came home and peed on the bed! She has never done this before and I am...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search