Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Confused about meds!
    Hey guys! I was recently diagnosed with a UTI and the doctor prescribed me with something called sulfameth/trimethoprim in order to fight the infection. When I got home I realized on the bottle it stated, "check with your doctor if you plan to become pregnant while using this medication." Now my doctor knows I've been trying to conceive... I tried to contact her today but she was unavailable and I have not gotten a reply. I'm taking the medication now because I want to infection to be completely gone but I'm afraid it's going to mess with my chances of conceiving or cause birth defects if I do conceive. What are you guy's thoughts? Thanks! :o
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much. Yes it is a Category C, which has a slight tendency for birth defects during the first trimester. Yet you aren't currently pregnant if I remember correctly. You are probably prescribed to take it for 10 - 14 days.

If that is correct, you should just protect yourself for those 10 - 14 days. After that you are free and clear again.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:31 PM
    You are so great J_9! I should be done with the meds before right before my ovulation date so that will work out great! Wheew... what a relief! Thanks again!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
    No problem Hun, I saw your post and got out my drug book right away!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deworming meds [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is colleen and I have 3 cats. One of which I just discovered this morning, has worms in his feces. I just spent 150 dollars this past week at the vets with him because he had a uti. I don't have the money to take him again. I would like to know if anyone could tell me the best over...

Type of meds 2 help kick pain meds. [ 5 Answers ]

I was told there are medications to help kick pain pill addiction. PLEASE if anyone knows the names of them whether meds or a supplement let me know.

Can I use human meds on a cat [ 1 Answers ]

Kitkat has an eye infection that the vet treated but since has come back. Is there an over the counter eye cream that I can buy at any drug store that would help? I cannot afford a vet bill right now since, due to an illness, I have not worked sine 16 May. Please help. Thank you :o

Which anxiety meds to use [ 1 Answers ]

I'm been having anxiety attacks especially while driving. I've been trying deal with my anxiety without medication, but the fight is getting harder. When I deal one symptom another one arises. So lately I've been taking xanax right before I due to drive home. Speaking with my doctor, she...

Puppy being given pain meds [ 9 Answers ]

My vet is giving my 10 week old puppy pain meds for this and it is past a week. I am wondering if perhaps my stay at home husband is just not wanting to deal with puppy recovery. Is this much pain medication the norm? Thanks for your help;)

View more questions Search