Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepikaram12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 11:01 PM
    New to web hosting
    Hi all,
    Since I'm new to web technology , can any tell me how to host a site. I have created a small application using asp.net which runs in my local.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 02:41 AM
    Shop for a host and they'll give you space to upload it to. You'll have control over that space (and probably some tools, software, etc. to go with it) just like you do the space on your hard drive.

The host will tell you what nameservers to enter for your domain name.

I like Lunarpages for hosting. Here's info on their basic plan: Basic Web Hosting Service | Lunarpages.com
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 17, 2007, 06:57 AM
    First you'll need a domain name, godaddy.com offers pretty cheap domain names. Personally I prefer register.com, they're more expensive but if you call them up when you register your domain they will probably match godaddy's price. (I just renewed a domain for 2 years and when I called them they beat godaddys price!)

Then, as RickJ said, you need to find a host to handle this for you. Being a .NET application though you might have to pay a bit more for hosting... it depends on what your application needs. Cheapest Hosting offers .NET hosting starting at $7.95/mo

You can also do this yourself, assuming you have the hardware and software already, it's not overly difficult but it's more involved. Also, depending on the bandwidth requirements of the application, it could degrade your home internet connection.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Most hosts will handle the domain registration for you, so find a host first, check their package, then see if you need to use a separate registrar.
    kameir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Get hosting from a LOCAL company and stay away from the big $5.99/month hosting offers. They are typically not worth anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hosting Favorites on Web [ 2 Answers ]

I work from 3 computers and have 3 sets of favorites... wouldn't it be nice if I could access them all from one spot. I'm working on putting them all on one USB stick/thumbdrive thing... but every time I update any one computer, I've got to update my USBstick, too---isn't there somewhere online...

Web hosting server [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Somebody guide me where may I get my own server for web hosting business and please give me it price if you can. Regards oveasahmed

Do not use Infinology Web Hosting Services... [ 1 Answers ]

All right, I wanted to get in here, ASAP to help those avoid Infinology... I've been a customer for a number of years, and I can tell you that things were "great" at infinology until about 1 year ago, but really 6 months ago. Before 6 months ago, the total downtime we had was maybe a couple...

Web hosting companies [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestions for a web hosting company. I need to know the pros and cons of both. I went ona site that listed a few of them and compared them. What do you think of these if oyu know them: Powweb - www.powweb.com Ipower - ipower.com Blue host - bluehost.com

Web Hosting computer business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have some questions on what line to put expenses for schedule C: I have a web hosting business where I lease a server (monthly fee) and resell space to my customers. 1. Does the monthly server cost go into COGS or Other expenses? Sometimes I fix peoples computers and need to buy...

View more questions Search