Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Will 72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Father of a thirteen year old (maybe).
    I recently got a phone call from an old aquintence stating that I might be the father of her thirrteen year old daghter and had not told me because she was married. And now wants to find out.What rights do I have?Do I have to pay child support for a child that I never knew about and the parents never were on welfare because the mother and father raised her as there own.
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Aug 6, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Well I would suggest taking a paternity test to find out if she is yours or not. If she is then yes you will have to pay child support. If not then the minor is not your responsibility
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
    If you're proven to be the dad, then you'd be responsible for child support and arrearages. You'd also have visitation rights. This is a rather unique situation. Is there a chance you could be the father? 13 years is a long time ; a lot of details could be forgotten in that time. At this point, I'd wait and see what this old acquaintance does, if anything. A consultation with an attorney may be in the cards. But for now you just kind of have to let the situation fester and see what it develops into, if anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2007, 04:46 PM
    If the court orders you to take the DNA test you have little choice and will have to take it. ( most likely) a few states in the US have laws that if the paternity of the child is not challenged over a certain amount of time, then it can not be. This is only a few US states but there is a few.

I would say before you do anything, visit a family attorney in your area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 4 year old's father isn't around, how do I tell her why? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was born in 2002 and from the start her father wanted nothing to do with us because he felt as though she was not his. In 2003 I met this great guy who accepted me and my daughter with open arms. We recently ended our relationship in the summer of 2006 which is also the time when I...

My 5 year old prefers her father [ 5 Answers ]

This is a "good" problem. My 5 year old prefers her father. Is this a typical stage? It is true that because he works from home, he takes her to school and picks her up, and he is more fun and plays a lot, whereas I take care of brushing teeth, eating vegetables, etc. She will do things if he...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

My16 year old doesn't know her father [ 2 Answers ]

The other day me and my daughter went to court over a settlement case and she couldn't get her money due to the fact I didn't have proof of cousty, her father and I were never married and he just up and left. The money isn't the deal, she asked if I could find him and I did. Now he woun't give up...

View more questions Search