Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheribo Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Gas/sewer smell when using electric clothes dryer
    We have had a sewer/gas smell in our laundry room on and off for about a year now. At first we thought it was coming from our new Kenmore front load washing machine as we would get the smell when doing laundry. We had a plumber take a look and he snaked all the drains and said the outdoor pipe had some branches stuck in it. Everything else was fine. No smell for about a month then it came back again. I noticed the smell only starts when we use our electric dryer - not the washing machine! I found this out as one day I put some damp clothes in the dryer (washing machine hadn't been used in days) - and after the dryer was running about 5 minutes the smell started. Any idea what could cause this? Doesn't seem like a plumbing problem but I am not sure. No idea what type of repairman to even call for something like this. I have also noticed that our bathroom sink on the 2nd floor above the laundry room will sometimes have a sewer odor coming from the drain. This will happen maybe once a month and all I do is poor some Drano down and the smell stops. The smell doesn't seem to occur during the same time we are doing laundry.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Is your washer draining into a trapped drain? Bet not, just a stand pipe and that allows sewer gas to enter your home when the dryer evacuates some air from the room. Try capping your stand pipe with Saran wrap and duck tap and I'll bet the odor isn't there. Have your plumber come back and build you a trap if you are'nt sure how to do it.

Aug 6, 2007, 06:36 PM
    We do have a standpipe but it is connected to a trap drain. We will give the saran wrap a try and see what happens. Thanks

Aug 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Some trapped stand pipes using an S trap rather than a P trap. The S trap can siphon dry and can no longer be installed.

Aug 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
    I tried sealing off the drain pipe with Saran wrap and duct tape. It didn't help. Once again I didn't run the washing machine at all (havent for 24 hours). I put some wet clothes into the dryer and within 15 minutes the smell was there. Could this possibly have anything to do with mold? I have heard a lot of talk about black mold behind walls.

Aug 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
    It is possible but mold does not smell like sewer gas. It could even be lint in your dryer that is getting musty and moldy. Have you checked out the dryer vent pipe and insides of the dryer chamber?

Aug 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Our dryer vent goes directly from our dryer straight outside. There is only about 3 feet of alluminun vent. It is clear of debris. Our dryer is only 1 year old and the vent trap in the dryer is cleaned after each cycle. The smell occurred one of the first times we used it. The same smell occurred with our old dryer as well. The smell can sometimes me more of a gas smell and other times it almost smells rotten. A couple years ago we had an issue with our upstairs bathtub having a crack and it was leaking (right above our laundry room). Once we noticed the leak we stopped using the tub and we just replaced it last year. When we were installing the new tub/shower we had to cut a hole to install a shower and that is when we noticed that the floor drywall was mushy and totally damaged. We had to replace the subfloor and we also had to cut out some ceiling out of our laundry room as it was damaged as well and had small traces of black mold on it (we assumed from the leakage). We haven't replaced the drywall yet in the ceiling so we still have easy access to all of our pipes. This makes me wonder if the smell is reflective at all to any of our previous issues??

Aug 19, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Any suggestions? Should I call out a plumber again?
    alphadog00 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 09:39 AM
    If it only happens when the dryer runs, then it seems like you have an air pressure issue that is pulling the smell into the laundry room. When the dryer exhausts air outside, it must pull air into the laundry room from somewhere. Could there be a plumbing vent that is open in or near the laundry room? Maybe they vented the plumbing inside the wall?

Aug 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Sheribo, black mold does have a smell but it is not like sewer gas. Are you sure 100% that the odor is sewer gas? I do think you are pulling air into the room when running the dryer. If it is sewer gas then you have a bad trap or no trap on a drain. I think you might be at a place to call in your plumber.

Aug 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
    I think you are both right that it is pulling the gas smell into the laundry room from somewhere else. I think at this point I will call a plumber out. Thanks!

Aug 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Please let us know what the plumber finds is the source of the odor.
    Thanks, Bob
    janellw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 08:22 PM
    Sheribo - did you ever solve this problem? We are having the same issue at our house. Please let me know if you were able to figure it out.
    camaro1968 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheribo View Post
    We have had a sewer/gas smell in our laundry room on and off for about a year now. At first we thought it was coming from our new Kenmore front load washing machine as we would get the smell when doing laundry. We had a plumber take a look and he snaked all the drains and said the outdoor pipe had some branches stuck in it. Everything else was fine. No smell for about a month then it came back again. I noticed the smell only starts when we use our electric dryer - not the washing machine! I found this out as one day I put some damp clothes in the dryer (washing machine hadn't been used in days) - and after the dryer was running about 5 minutes the smell started. Any idea what could cause this? Doesn't seem like a plumbing problem but I am not sure. No idea what type of repairman to even call for something like this. I have also noticed that our bathroom sink on the 2nd floor above the laundry room will sometimes have a sewer odor coming from the drain. This will happen maybe once a month and all I do is poor some Drano down and the smell stops. The smell doesn't seem to occur during the same time we are doing laundry.
    Did you ever solve the problem?if so how
    I have the same problems except the smell comes in my bathroom wich is right behind the wall from laundry room,I hve narrowed it down to the dryer,account that is the only time the smell comes,but I can't figure how it would cause the sewer gas smell when it has nothing to do with the plumbing,if you solved your problem let me know at [email protected]
    Hannigan32 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 03:44 AM
    Have similar problem. Have you figured out what it was? Going on 7 months now with the stink when dryer runs.

TJ
    Hannigan32 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
    Did you ever figure out what was going on when you use your dryer with the smell?
    I have similar issue and it has been going on for 7 months now?

Sep 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
    No but I think it may have something to do with thein and out line going into and out of septic tank,also plumber dobled the wax seal under the tolietaccount of tile but anorth plumber has told me that was too much wax should have used only a jumbo seal.I,m going to try that first

Sep 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Contact me at [email protected] and I'll give you some ideals,I have same problem

Sep 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by janellw View Post
    Sheribo - did you ever solve this problem? We are having the exact same issue at our house. Please let me know if you were able to figure it out.
    Not yet but think maybe the pipe going into and out of septic tank,if you would like contact me on [email protected] and I will tel lyou all that has been done so you don't waste money doing the same thing

Sep 14, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannigan32 View Post
    Did you ever figure out what was going on when you use your dryer with the smell?
    I have similar issue and it has been going on for 7 months now?
    No but one thing for sure I can crack the window in the small bath room and then start the dryerand I do not get the smell
    We did find the sewer pipe coming from the house about 5 inches under the house was loose account hadn't been glued,we pulled it out and put glue on it and shoved it back in but this didn't help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag electric clothes dryer [ 3 Answers ]

My Maytag electric clothes dryer gets hot but the clothes do not dry. What is wrong?

Wood Stain/Varnish Smell in Clothes Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! We have been doing a lot of remodeling in our home and therefore have been doing a lot of stripping and staining of wood floors and wood work. After doing my laundry this weekend I realized that all of my clothes coming out of the dryer have a chemical smell on them. I have washed and dried...

Sewer Gas Smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The...

Sewer/gas smell from electric dryer [ 12 Answers ]

We have had a sewer/gas smell in our laundry room on and off for about a year now. At first we thought it was coming from our new Kenmore front load washing machine as we would get the smell when doing laundry. We had a plumber take a look and he snaked all the drains and said the outdoor pipe had...

Rear bearing on General Electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear bearing on dryer model DDE6500GALAD? I can put a drop of oil on it from the rear of the dryer and it stops squeaking for a few loads but then starts again. I can't find any documentation for it on the GE site. Thanks

View more questions Search