Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Aug 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Lights dim & brighten . Surge ?
    Approx 3 or 4 years ago I noticed lighting in my home would get dim, then get brighter.

I asked others in my area if they were noticing the same in their home and no others were noticing it.

I took the cover off my breaker panel and noticed that 2 of the wires
    (white and ground) going to what I think is called the neutral bar, had gotten so hot that they caused some of the rubber coating to burn.

Called the electric company, they came out and remove my exterior round meter which cut off the power, and said the feed wires had bcome loose.

I cut the bad parts of the burned wires and retightened everyhing.
    All was fine until couple days ago.

Lighting acting similar to what happened, 3 or 4 years ago.

I opened my breaker panel and do not see any burnt wiring.

Has anyone here heard of this situation before...
    Or know the cause / fix?

Thanks

Danna
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 02:09 PM
    If they are going Brighter than normal, You may have a Neutral Problem(White wire)
    If it is loose, 120 volt items may see 240 volts and destroy them. If both Phases drawing near same current, less noticeable. Is it 1 circuit or several circuits? If you notice 1 room lights go bright same time another room goes dim, May be a neutral they are sharing is loose
    Or problem could possibly be Bad Connection, Bad Breaker, or bad(burnt or corroded) buss(where breaker plugs onto)
    Find Breaker that is for that room(s) look at buss. Good Luck
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Aug 7, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Thanks Stratmando

You were correct... it's the large white wire connected to the buss.

Apparently, allen screw that holds the little block to the buss is stripped and also the screw that holds the wire to the little block seems to be stripped too.
    Cannot get either one tight.

Will get an electricain to install a new block, hopefully he can find one for my 30 year old panel.

Thanks
    Danna
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Good Deal, If you wanted to be extra safe, unplug TV's, Computer, Frig? Have seen helpers open neutral and causing damage. I'm sure you will get Qualified Person who will shut off power, before repairing. Take Care. New neutral bar can work on Old Panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan lights too dim [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Antigua fan with an add-on light kit (4 bulbs). I also purchased the wall mounted remote control. It worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now, all four bulbs are extremely dim. I've tried higher wattage bulbs but there just doesn't seem to be enough power to light them...

Dash lights dim when horn activated [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Chevy Silverado 1500, 6 cylinder. I don't know when it started but I've noticed that the lights dim and/or my speedometer gauge will jump backwards when I hit the horn. FYI I installed a "BAD BOY" horn about 2 months ago which has a air horn type of set up. I don't know the amount of...

Dim Lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a situation that is puzzling. In my basement, I noticed that the laundry room light is dim when I turn on the lights of the main room. Here is the scenario. 1. Laundry Switch OFF and Basement Switch OFF - Both Lights OFF 2. Laundry Switch OFF and Basement Switch ON - Laundry...

Some lights dim others brighten [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently added an addition on to my small home. The kitchen outlets are on two separate lines that are of the proper heavy gauge wire. The kitchen lighting is on a separate line that is of standard romex. Now when I turn on a hotpot or other appliance in the kitchen the halogen lights get...

Voltage okay- yet lights still dim [ 4 Answers ]

Forgive me if Ive ask this question before, I think I wrote it out, but had to leave and I just closed it rather than posted. Two years ago when I had my 15KW electric furnace installed, I noticed that when ever it would run, it would make the lights dim, and they wouldn't get bright again until...

View more questions Search