Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 6, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Not tested at all?
    My niece and nephew are homeschooled by their mother. When baby #3 came in Nov. '06, they took a "2 month break" and are making up that work NOW. She said they'll be done in 6 more weeks, take a "2 week summer break" and then start the next grade.
    They do not take them to be tested for their age/skill level (the kids are 9.5, and 7). They (parents) seem to think its not necessary. They said, "It cost money and they can't make you." In the mean time, they believe the younger is behind in reading, yet no help has been sought out.

We're concerned, but can't talk to her as she obviously gets very defensive. I suppose there isn't anything I could do, but isn't it recommended that each home schooled child be tested to make sure they're "on track?" They don't plan on entering them into public school until 6th grade. (Currently they're in 3rd and 1st.)

I guess I was just hoping for a little insight. :confused:

Thanks
    Maricruz Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Aug 12, 2007, 09:09 PM
    I would not worry too much about the 7 year old not reading yet. In many countries they don't teach kids to read until this age. Most kids catch up when they are 8 years old.
    The beauty of homeschooling is that you can work at the children's pace, not at the pace dictated by the state. The best thing you can do, during the children's break, is provide other fun learning opportunities for them. I day with "auntie" at a museum or the park would benefit all.
    Survivor

Aug 13, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Thanks; I would love to take them to a museum or something like I treat my cousins to on occasion. Maybe someday my SIL will let us. :)
    Yellow Cape Cod Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 08:43 PM
    My only concern is whether they are in a reporting state or not. If there are laws governing when or how children should be tested or assessed, these laws should be followed to the letter. This has more to do with the traditional antagonism from those who run the public school systems towards the typical homeschooler (this is not as much a problem as in times past, but one should cover his bases), rather than being sure the child has reached any arbitrary levels of knowledge.

In my state, the child needs to be tested or assessed by a licensed teacher after each year of schooling that is compulsory (kindergarten is not compulsory). One of the reasons I am homeschooling is because of the flexibilty it offers in working with each child's abilities, especially at young ages, so I choose to have my children assessed rather than tested.

You may want to find out what the laws covering this are in your state just to be sure you relatives are on the right side of the law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Each state has different rules, and often it depends on what type of program they are in. For example many home school are done under a specific approved program, For example the program we use provide the material, they grade the work being done on some materials. When the child graduates from 12th grade they even have a graduation program the child can go to at thir main office. They have their own school number to be used for applying to college.
    With there program there is no requirement in our state to notify anyone at all.

If on the other hand we were just going down to the book store and buying some books and trying to teach the child on our own, not with any reconised program, then yes we would have to notify the local school district.

But since there has been tons of abuse by school districts against home school parents, most have a mistrust of the school districts and will only do what is the very min they are required to do.

So in general it will depend, in our case, no we have no reporting requirements at all, and are not required to have our son sit for a state required test.

But I will even suggest that while yellow cape cod means well, this most liekly is not the case for all home school children in his state, only those not under a approved system. Now many school boards try to tell you that is a requirement, but often it is not really the law.

There is a legal program that provides defense for home school parents who are being harassed by their school districts, this link will also provide you with the specific laws for your state.

Homeschool: HSLDA-Home School Legal Defense Association:
    Yellow Cape Cod Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 07:08 AM
    But I will even suggest that while yellow cape cod means well, this most liekly is not the case for all home school children in his state, only those not under a approved system. Now many school boards try to tell you that is a requirement, but often it is not really the law.
    Obviously each state's laws are different. That is precisely why I suggested the OP should know the laws in his state. I tend to assume the mother already knows the law in their state (with her "they can't make you" comment) since homeschoolers traditionally are well-informed on these issues when making the decision to homeschool. However, everyone has heard that horror story about someone who was prosecuted because they didn't follow the law, which is where my concern comes from.

In the case of Ohio's law (my state), it allows for testing, assessment by a certified teacher, or "another method of assessment that is agreed upon by the parent and the superintendant". I never knew what that could refer to, but it very well could mean any approved correspondence school curricula as you suggest.

I was not concerned with the testing but rather being on the right side of the law. If the OP and her sister-in-law know what the laws are, they will feel more comfortable that they are doing things right.
    Survivor

Sep 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
    I've tried looking into it, but I may not have done a very good job. It seems as though my state does not require any "checking in" as Fr_Chuck said about his own.

However, to be perfectly honest I wish there was a way around this because I'm sure my niece and nephew are falling behind. There are several examples I could site, but I'd rather not as that isn't really the point here. One particular concern though is my SIL suspects my niece is dyslexic. Why? She mixes up "CAT" and "ACT" (she's 7). My SIL refuses to take her for evaluation, but insists she knows its true because of what she's seen and what she's read on the Internet. :(

Well, if its true and she'll need extra assistance, then should something be done? Maybe its just the emotional investment I have for my niece speaking, but I doubt my SIL's high school education from 1995 qualifies her to deal with this properly. She bought a history book for her son (5th grade level, he's in 3rd) and he "liked" it so she considers that advanced and plans on skipping him through 4th grade. I just wonder how this can not be evaluated by a professional? Maybe I'm just biased... Sorry this was so blunt. That's just my personal situation I'm speaking of.

Obviously, I have some concerns.

I truly thank you all for your input. My frustration is growing so I appologize if is sounds rude. ;)
    niteowlgirl72 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I understand your concern... If it isn't required in her state to test them maybe you could encourage her to test them.

There is a site that has FREE diagnostic testing to see where the child is at.. Is she religious at all? Do you happen to know what curriculum she uses?

There is a great book that helps with reading it is called "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" Also,do you get see them ever? There is a game called "The Junior Phonics Game" If you have them over you could play this game with them.. I found it on eBay for around $20.

There is another place called Seton Testing Services They charge like $25 for the test. If she homeschools which isn't cheap she could certainly afford to have them tested this way. She administers the test and then mails it in for scoring.

If money is an issue and since you care maybe you could offer to help her in a non confrontational way.

I hope this helps.. I have other ideas for cost effectiveness so if you want to pass along more ideas to her let me know..

She shouldn't be skipping grades based on the fact that the child enjoys the book.. Each grade there are key elements that are taught. If the child doesn't get a good foundation what is the point?

Math has to be taught starting with the basics. You cannot teach a child algebra if they don't know basic mathmatics. It is a waste of time.

Well, I could go on and on.. I hope this makes sense.

Good luck and God Bless,

Niteowlgirl
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    My niece and nephew are homeschooled by their mother.
    That's wonderful!

When baby #3 came in Nov. '06, they took a "2 month break"
    Good idea.

and are making up that work NOW.
    Making up that work?

Most people are under the assumption that home schooling is public schooling at home. That is far from true.

Home schooling means true learning. It is not based on the public school schedule, but on the child's ability to learn.

If the child does not understand a lesson for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong with going over it again. No matter how many times. It's the equivalent of being held back, but it isn't a stigma that the child has to live with all his life.

And if the family has to put aside the books for a certain period, until things get settled, they can pick up where they left off. There should be no pressure to stay on the same curriculum level as the public or private schools.

Some families actually accomplish many grade levels in one school year. Some families have to go back to earlier levels which have to be reviewed because they've been forgotten. Others do both. The children may find one subject hard and another simple. There is no rule that one has to take a whole year to study one text book. If the child can devour it in one week then so be it. If the child needs two years, so be it.

The whole point of home schooling is quality. Not keeping up or setting pace with Public Schools.

She said they'll be done in 6 more weeks, take a "2 week summer break" and then start the next grade.

They do not take them to be tested for their age/skill level (the kids are 9.5, and 7).
    When you teach your kids day in and day out, you know them better than anyone in the world. Why pay a "so called" expert to test them based on generalized data when you have personal, specific feedback everyday?

They (parents) seem to think its not necessary. They said, "It cost money and they can't make you." In the mean time, they believe the younger is behind in reading, yet no help has been sought out.
    You can't tell at a young age, what the children will be like later. Some children are late bloomers. Thank God this child is not in public school. He would be labeled as lazy or difficult or some other problem which would follow him for life.

We're concerned, but can't talk to her as she obviously gets very defensive. I suppose there isn't anything I could do, but isn't it recommended that each home schooled child be tested to make sure they're "on track?"
    No. Testing is considered detrimental by many home schoolers. It is simply an opportunity for the Public Schools to label a child as either dumb or smart. But tests are simply reflections of a child's progress at one point in time. There is no way to factor in the child's state of mind, state of health or any other contributing factors at that point in time. Yet those test results will be put on his record and follow him the rest of his life.

They don't plan on entering them into public school until 6th grade. (Currently they're in 3rd and 1st.)
    My children have never set foot in public school except to accompany their friends or cousins in some performance. I have graduated two from home school.

I guess I was just hoping for a little insight. :confused:

Thanks
    No problem. Many people are confused about home school. They assume it's a carbon copy of public school. But it isn't. If it were a carbon copy of public school, there would be no reason to home school.

You see, public schools do not take the individual into account. They have generic standards. The child either keeps up and fits in to the school schedule or he is labeled and punished. This is not only damaging to the child in the present but also in the future because records are kept and follow the child from grade to grade.

But the home schooling parent should take advantage of the fact that she ( I say she, because in every case that I know of, it is the mom who stays at home with the children) can tailor the school to her child. She can take advantage of aptitudes and make allowances for difficult subjects. What's important is true learning. Not keeping a schedule.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My faith is being aggressively tested. [ 11 Answers ]

Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have grown closer and closer to my God. Recently, I needed His help. When I had no other thing or person to turn to, I held on to my faith that He will not abandon me in my time of need. Even as disappointments threatened my hope, I held onto Him even more. As friends...

Getting a medication tested at a lab or somewhere [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a private citizen can get their medication tested somewhere to ensure it is what it's supposed to be? I called a local Pharmacist and was surprised that they knew of no place. I have a prescription for a sedative/anti-anxiety. For the last 2 refills they have not been...

Eye sight being tested. [ 9 Answers ]

I am 24 and have worn glasses for reading and working on my laptop for about a year now. I required a prism lens in one of the frames (if anyone knows what that is I'd love to know), recently I feel my eyesight is getting worse. How often are you supposed to go for a test?

I need to get an inmate tested [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if I would be able to get a paternity test done while the alleged father is in prison and if so what do I need to do

Scared to get tested [ 12 Answers ]

I just got out of a 2 year relationship like 4 months ago. I only had, had sex with my ex who I loved very much. I'm 19 by the way. We had sex when I was 17 and he was almost 5 yrs older than me and we had it continuously through the 2 years we were together. We were always safe and cautious. With...

View more questions Search