Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xEoMxMoAxx Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Learning Guitar
    I would like to learn guitar this year, just a few questions though. Is it very hard to learn and is the equipment really expensive. also what the best way to learn from a teacher a book or a computer program?
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 6, 2007, 08:16 AM
    You can probably pick up some decent stuff at a pawn shop or go to a local music store and see if they sell used instruments. No need to go dropping a lot of money when you are starting.
    Can you read music?
    It depends on your learning style but I learned from watching my friends and it was pretty easy for me to pick up on after a few months.

Aug 6, 2007, 09:02 AM
    I used to play the flute about a year ago so yeah I can read music
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 12:02 AM
    You can probably pick up some decent stuff at a pawn shop or go to a local music store and see if they sell used instruments. No need to go dropping a lot of money when you are starting.
    Can you read music?
    It depends on your learning style but I learned from watching my friends and it was pretty easy for me to pick up on after a few months.
    I agree with the answer above. You don't have to go spending major bucks in order to get started. You can even find decent instruments at yard and garage sales. Maybe someone might even be willing to loan you an instrument for nothing. When you get good at playing, then you might want to invest in some really nice equipment. If you want to play the electric guitar, then you will be looking at investing in an amplifier and speaker as well as just the guitar. If you are wanting to play the acoustic guitar, then you just need the guitar. Any maintenance things also need to be included with either electric or acoustic guitar.

From my many years as being an instrumental as well as vocal music teacher both privately as well as in schools, I would advise that the best thing to do as far as starting learning, is to get yourself a teacher to learn the basics, especially concerning technique. There are a lot of mistakes that you can make as far as technique that need the watchful eye of an expert so that you don't learn mistakes in your technique. If you do learn mistakes, then you have to unlearn them. This can take some time on your part.

Once you have most of the basic technique down, then you can do some things on your own. Videos and CD's can then be helpful.

You asked if it is hard to learn. If you are playing folk or rock style, then that is not as hard to learn as classical style guitar. But, how good you get at playing in any style depends on how good you want to get and how much you are willing to practice. One of the first things that I ask my private students is, "How good do you want to get?" Then I play some things for them. I then ask them, "Do you want to be able to play that?" If they say "Yes." Then I tell them about how they are going to have to practice and the time that it will take them to be able to play that.

One very important thing to remember when undertaking the learning of a musical instrument, is that it's not practice that makes perfect, but perfect practice that makes perfect. There are many ways to practice badly. That is one of the reasons that it is so very important for you to have a teacher to guide you in the very early stages of your starting.

Aug 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
    What if I don't have enough money for a teacher, would the CD roms on the computer do just as good if I practiced everyday?
    Kellyisawsome Posts: 106, Reputation: 5

Aug 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I used to play an acoustic guitar.
    I just got a book on it.
    How to play guitar for dummies.
    It came with a Cd rom in it.
    It was pretty cool.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xEoMxMoAxx
    what if i dont have enough money for a teacher, would the CD roms on the computer do just as good if i practiced everyday?
    Like I said in my post to you, "There are many ways to practice badly." But, nonetheless, there are many guitarists as well as other types of musicians who have never had any formal training who do quite well. But, the styles in which they play tend to be in those that are the most popular, so the structure of the music is not very complicated.

I don't know what style it is that you want to play in. But, if it is in a folk or rock style, then you won't have as much trouble teaching yourself. I am only assuming things here, but If you do want to play in the classical style and haven't had all that much experience in music in general, then having a teacher really helps.

If you get a CD and/or a book from which to learn, I would advise getting those that have lots of pictures in them so that you can then imitate what you see. Also, if getting a CD or even a VHS video, please be sure to find out what the actual playing length is. The longer the better. You will get more information from which to learn that way. There are videos being sold in music stores that claim to teach the basics on certain instruments. The ones that I have seen aren't all that long. I'm talking about maybe twenty minutes to a half-hour in length. So, I would think that they would hardly be worth the purchase if you really want to get into playing.

Not all teachers charge a lot of money. I know that you live in CA and the prices for lessons out there are higher then around where I live. But, just as an example, in one of our local papers there is a person who charges only $5.00 for a half-hour guitar lesson. Maybe there is someone similar around where you live. Also, if money is a problem, and since private lessons are usually on a once-a-week basis with most teachers, maybe there is someone who will agree to you taking lessons once every two weeks or even once a month. Just for your information, lessons from people who teach out of music stores are usually less expensive than those who teach out of their homes. Also, in many places there are group guitar lessons available through community colleges, music stores and sometimes through park boards. The point that I am trying to make is that lessons don't have to be expensive and can be affordable if you shop around.

I wish you well in learning how to play the guitar!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
    A good thread here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...t=learn+guitar
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Hi, Thomas1970! Thank you for pointing out that thread!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xEoMxMoAxx
    I would like to learn guitar this year, just a few questions though. Is it very hard to learn and is the equipment really expensive. also what the best way to learn from a teacher a book or a computer program?
    Do you by chance live in the U.S. If so go to craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events. Then go to your location and search for guitars. Its like eBay but you only see things up for sale in your city, so its hard to get scammed because you have to meet them and such,

The default is San Francisco, so you have to make sure you switch it to your area.

Aug 8, 2007, 11:39 PM
    Oh and guitar hero never hurt anyone :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Well, it hurt people who think it's anything like playing a guitar :p
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Please excuse my naiveté. But, what is Guitar Hero? I have heard it mentioned previously on another thread.

Aug 9, 2007, 12:00 AM
    A game for consoles where you are a guitarist. You have to buy a guitar controller and its fun. I use it to get me in the mood for learning the guitar, I suck, so when I play the game I feel like a champion. Lol
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    a game for consoles where you are a guitarist. You have to buy a guitar controller and its fun. I use it to get me in the mood for learning the guitar, i suck, so when i play the game i feel like a champion. lol
    Thank you for your explanation. Now I see Capuchin's rationale for the answer that he gave.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
    It's 5 buttons on the neck and you have a strummer type thing at the base and there's a whammy bar too, but it's more about rhythm than any kind of technique or musicianship.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2007, 12:15 AM

That's the guitar hero 2 controller.
    tanchujos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 01:14 AM
    First learning from friends and yourself, it's free. Second, practicing on some books and music-sheet (just a few bucks). Finally, Learning from 3 of them: yours, books - computer stuffs, and a good teacher. Good luck.
    Tan Chu
    str33t punk Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Mar 25, 2008, 01:06 PM
    This is what I did... buy an acoustic guitar for like 200 bucks.. gets rid of amp fees... and acoustic is better to start with because once you have learned acoustic electrick is no problem... and to answer your question.. you can sometimes find people showing how to play songs on YouTube. If not learn tabs and play along with a song.. hope that helps please rate
    go2004 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 01:28 AM
    Honestly brother I think guitar is the easiest instrument there is to learn, I tought myself with no instruction at all it's that simple (well to learn the basics anyway) I just sat there one day staring at a tab I found on the net, figured it out and went from there, and no for a beginner its not too expensive at all you can get a deacent starter guitar for like $100 in stores, its obviously not going to be greatest guitar on the market but more than suitable to learn on and tips on ways to learn ummm dvd's seem to work really good, its defitally a lot eaiser than reading a book or something on computer because somebodys acctually showing you what to do, can pause, stop and rewind anything and you can buy the dvds at any music store for maybe around $15

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acoustic guitar [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking at a number of acoustic guitars for sale. Im deciding between Ibanez, yamaha, and fender, all around the 300 dollar range. Please let me know what you think and what brand is the best quality.

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

Palying the guitar? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar... just wondered how hard it will be to learn,, :p

Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero II for PS3 help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't have a PS2 'cause I made a mistake by waiting for the PS3 to come out forever, but SINCE IT'S FINALLY COMING OUT... I'm going to get it. And the first games I want are Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. I want to know if it'll play on my Play Station 3 since it's made for Play...

Wet Guitar [ 2 Answers ]

I was walking in my backyard when my brother dropped a large cup of water on me - I happened to be holding my guitar. Some spray got inside, and a lot covered the outer body. I quickly dried it off as much as I could - do you think there could be any lasting damage? If so, my brother will repay me...

View more questions Search