Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaDay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Smell gas
    I have CHA with a gas furnace. I've noticed on about 5-10 occasions a year, I will smell gas in my home. This happens whether the AC or the heat is on. I am wondering why this is happening and if I should be concerned. The smell usually lasts one day and goes away, and yes, I'm sure it's gas, and it smells from the vents and around the furnace. Everything functions normally when I smell the gas. Just wondering, thanks for any answers.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 08:32 AM
    You should immediately call a repairman or the gas company to come out and look at your furnace! There is no reason why you should be smelling gas, ever, if the system is operating properly. Do this ASAP!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 01:40 PM
    I agree with ebains. Anytime you smell gas, get a qulified tech to check it out.

Aug 6, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Well, what do you think it could be? I will call someone to do a service/check-up on my furnace... but I'd like to have a clue as to what it might be so I don't get totally ripped off, or just so I'm informed.

It's weird, because it'll happen one day and then won't happen again for weeks or months. So that's why I haven't called anyone out, because it just goes away.

How much gas is dangerous, realistically? The best I can compare the concentration of the smell is slightly less than what you ordinarily smell when the gas company initially turn the gas on and do the pilot lights.

I really would like to know a possible explanation for why this happens and why it just seems to go away, if anyone has an idea!
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Once you have a gas leak it normally does not correct itself, it may be a pilot out or a fitting leaking, but I would recommend calling the gas co. as suggested in the previous posts, they normally do not charge and they have the best tools to sniff out the leaks. Mike
    BKNY77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaDay
    I have CHA with a gas furnace. I've noticed on about 5-10 occasions a year, I will smell gas in my home. This happens whether the AC or the heat is on. I am wondering why this is happening and if I should be concerned. The smell usually lasts one day and goes away, and yes, I'm sure it's gas, and it smells from the vents and around the furnace. Everything functions normally when I smell the gas. Just wondering, thanks for any answers.
    I have same problem... Whenever my heater is on, I can smell the gas... And I am a smoker so I'm scared if I light matches/ or lighter, entire house might explode!!

Does someone knows what's the problem is?

We need your opinion and help!

Aug 6, 2007, 09:56 PM
    OK, if I call the gas co right now, I will feel like an idiot. Like I said, I don't smell the gas all the time, it's only a few times a year. So, right now, I don't smell it at all anywhere. I smelled it over the weekend, and that's what prompted me to ask this question. I'm also afraid if I call the gas co, they might turn a tiny problem into a big deal. Say they did find some minor problem, what do they do? Would I be I forced to do anything besides at the very least cut off gas flow to my furnace (I can't afford to make extensive repairs... possibly any repairs depending upon the estimate I get! ) Another reason why I'd really like to have some idea as to what the problem is before I call anyone anyway.

I know it's not a pilot light out, and I'm assuming it's not a regular leak because it happens so rarely. Could it be something like the furnace somehow occasionally getting the wrong message and for some reason putting out gas but not burning it? In other words, is there something, a valve or some kind of regulator, that allows gas into the furnace that might be malfunctioning? Just a thought I had. I was thinking that because how else would the smell end up coming out the vents really? My furnace is in a closet all by itself, and I live in a very small house, so it's not difficult to pinpoint where strange things are happpening!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 04:11 AM
    The furnace has inside what is called the gas valve. It could leak, but I wouldn't expect the leak to come and go. However, the section of the furnace where it is should be tightly sealed from the air circulating through the house. If the gas is making it from the combustion chamber to the supply air, you could have bad heat exchanger, a problem both serious and expensive.

If the gas company will come out and inspect things for free, that would be your best option. If not, or if they come and don't find anything, put some soapy water in a spray bottle and start spraying the next time you smell gas. There should be a valve on the line before it goes into the furnace. Give it particular attention. The older style, that has a tapering cone inside, are frequent trouble makers. If you don't find any tell tale bubbles where you spray the soapy water, shut the valve, and leave it of and see if the gas smell comes back. If it does, the problem is the valve or before it. Work your way back with the soapy water, even going under the house.

Post back and let us know what you find. Closing the valve will put the pilot light out if there is one. There are good instructions in the sticky on relighting it. The sticky also has pictures of various furnace parts.
    bdeal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 10:17 AM
    I also, have the same problem of intermittent smell of gas when the heater is running. I've had a technician out three times already and they've replaced both the igniter last year and the gas valve a few days ago but it still happened last night. What could be the source of gas smell throughout the house when the heater is running and it has a new igniter and gas valve? The last time it happened I opened the heater closet and the smell was stronger in there but the burner was still burning normally (I know probably not to safe).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell [ 1 Answers ]

I put a modular home on a basement this past summer. The Septic system is composed of a 1200 gal concrete tank that drains openly in a pasture about 300 ft from the house. Late this summer we began to get a strong sewer smell in our basement(right after a 5" rain). The footing perimeter drain was...

Sewer Gas Smell [ 2 Answers ]

I have been noticing a sewer gas smell coming from a bedroom in the front of our house, adjacent to a second bath. There is no smell whatsoever in the bathroom. About two years ago we had our main sewer line replaced when we found out it had cracked on the property line. Also we just completed a...

Sewer Gas Smell [ 3 Answers ]

3 months ago, we tiled 1 of 2 of our bathrooms, which included removing the toilet and replacing it after the tile was laid. Before we removed the toilet to do the tile, each time we flushed the toilet, it would produce a gurgle sound and sometimes the sound would come out through the sink! This...

Smell gas [ 1 Answers ]

Honda Odessey2000, emission smell gas -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, When I start my Honda Odessey 2000, I can smell gas for awhile than back to normal, no check engine lite on, no other problem, how do I get rid of this? I did basic...

Gas smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem that my plumber has been unable to fix on a couple of occasions. Very simply put, soon after I turn on the shower, a couple of minutes or so, I get a terrible rotten egg (sewer gas?) smell. I can't tell if it starts when it starts steaming up or just because. Shower is used...

View more questions Search