Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 08:32 AM
    Lift generated by rotation
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to calculate the lift caused by rotation of a cylinder in a flow of air?

We could define the cylinder as being 14ft long, 6ft wide and rotating at 10,000rpm

Airflow could be anything above 10mph
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Is it dimpled like a golf ball or polished smooth?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Wow, 2 year old post, start, how did you pick up on this one? :)

I see no reason why the cylinder shoul dbe dimpled.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
    In 2 years, no one answered, I was curious. Thinking the surface would have an effect.
    Hope all is well.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Yes, it does, but we can assume it's smooth, no? :)
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Check out Magnus effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The dimples of a golfball help to enhance this effect. But it still happens for a smooth surface (for exampl, bullets).
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
    The shadowraph of 308 winchester, looks exactly like a boat and its wake.
    Poster if your out there, here is what you have been waiting for, I hope, Sorry about the wait.
    [edit] Example Equation
    The following equations demonstrate the manipulation of characteristics needed to determine the lift force generated by inducing a mechanical rotation on a ball.

F = lift force
    ρ = density of the fluid
    V = velocity of the ball
    A = crossectional area of ball
    Cl = lift coefficient
    The lift coefficient is very dependent on the spin ratio ( (angular velocity*diameter)/(2* linear velocity) ) of the ball. Lift coefficient may be determined from graphs of experimental data using Reynolds number and spin ratio. Typical lift coefficients of a smooth ball range from 0.2 to 0.6 for spin ratios ranging from 0.5 to 4.5.

Is that a wing for an Experimental Aircraft, or you can't tell?
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Strat, I already gave the link the article containing the exact text, why copy paste it while forgetting to copy paste the equation? :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2D Rotation about center of mass [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Everyone! I've posted this question on both the physics and math sites, but I'm hoping that by fishing in all three that I might get an answer sooner! With that in mind... I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the resultant polar coordinates of a triangle following the triangle's...

Should I lift weights? [ 8 Answers ]

Im 29 year old woman who is overweight. I've been doing cardio 4-5 times a week and have not really had any great results now. I lost 15 pounds in 3 months but I still look pretty much the same. I'm startting to give up since my results are minimal. I've heard that weight training gives the...

Retrograde rotation [ 3 Answers ]

If the solar nebula theory is the correct explanation of how the solar system formed, then what is the likely cause of two planets being highly tilted or rotating “backwards,” and one planet not revolving in the same plane as the rest by more than 10 degrees?

Nissan terrano with a body lift [ 0 Answers ]

I have bought a 1990 nissan terrano in japan. (same as a pathfinder in the states) My problm is that with a 3 inch body lift my transfer shifter was shortened, so that when I drop the lever in to 4low it will not go in to gear because the lever is hitting the console. Yes a redneck hillbilly like...

Aerodynamic lift [ 1 Answers ]

When a high wind blows across the roof of a house an upward force acts on the roof. Explain why? THANK YOU... THANK YOU!?

View more questions Search