Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minnie_224_2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Wats wrong with age difference?
    One question what happens if a girl that's 13 or 14 wants to date a guy that's 17 or 18 is it wrong because I think in my opinion love doesn't have an age??
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
    Love might not have an age barrier when two people are truly at an age to understand what love is and the difference between having a crush on someone and being in love. But, understandings about life and goals for the same between two people do make a great deal of difference in relationships at those ages. There is a huge difference in the understanding about life when comparing someone who is 13 to 14 to someone who is 17 to 18. Many things are going to change in the lives of the two people over the next ten or so years. They are the kind of things that have to do with schooling and what a person wants to do with their individual life as far as personal goals, jobs, etc. Any sort of permanence in relationships as far as dating is best to left when both people are of or very near a legal age to date each other.

This is a short answer for now. Hopefully, others will come along to offer their advice and opinions also.
    renia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by minnie_224_2007
    one question wat happens if a girl thats 13 or 14 wants to date a guy thats 17 or 18 is it wrong because i think in my opinion love doesnt have an age????
    Love is blind... but the law is a hard a** and they have set rules of being an adult and minor and the age is 18!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Clough gave a very good answer. As we grow older and mature, age differences start to matter less and less. But when we are younger, the emotional and maturity levels are very different. Its rare that a 17 or 18 yr old will have anything in common with a 13-14 yr old. This means that the most likely reason some that age is interested in someone that young is so they can exploit them. And that usually means sex. That's why there are laws protecting minors.
    lightbulb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
    At that young of an age, the saying may not apply. A person who is 13 or 14 is still a child and is in a different stage in their life. A person who is 17 or 18 is becoming a young adult and has had different life experiences than a much younger 13, 14 year old child.

Just as Scott Gem indicated, the level of emotional maturity are very different.

The saying "love doesnt have an age" applies to adults and not children.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 02:41 PM
    My uncle is ten years younger than his wife. Its accepted because mentally they are adults. Physically they are 40 and 50. They married when he was late 20's. They have a great marriage.

But you don't simply state that because a 10 year difference is OK here, that a 20 year old should date a 10 year old. Or a 18 year old an 8... right??

Look, like it or not, mentally you are making greater strides with each passing year then you do when you are older. There are greater differences between two people a few years apart when younger.
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

Aug 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Society rules...

Basically, you're an adult when you're 18; you're a child when you're 13-14. Maturity comes with age and experience. Adults don't date children. It's illegal and this is to protect children because they're innocent.
    lostinatrance Posts: 50, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2007, 10:17 AM
    It's not so much age.. it's maturity, and most of the time 13/14 year olds aren't mature enough to be in a relationship with someone that old, but there could be a few 13/14 year olds that are mature enough, but the majority, not so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Age Difference [ 58 Answers ]

I recently have been talking to a girl I work with a lot she's 16 (will b 17 in a few months) I just turned 22. Im friends with every one I work with and just started that way with her till she broke up with her b/f and he went crazy saying he was going to kill her and stuff and harassing her so I...

Age Difference [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, what legal actions can be taken on someone that is 20 and gets his 16 year old girlfriend pregnant, if it was willing?

Girl in serious need ,wats wrong with me? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi... I use to my period every month... a year ago I started to get it every 2nd month... the doctor said it was because of stress.. NOW the last time I got my period was feb 11 2007 and it is now July 12 2007... whats wrong with me? I am afraid to go to the doctor I don't want it to be anything...

Age difference [ 15 Answers ]

I am a 17 year old girl and I will be a senior in High School. I am dating a 20 year old college student. Do you think that he is too old for me to date? I just need some opinions.

Wats Wrong With Me? [ 6 Answers ]

It been 2 and a half year that I have been trying to get pregnant with my husband. No doctors can find out with wrong with me. Their opinion was that might has to do with " Imbalnce hormones". As of today I haven't had my period for 7 months. All pregnancy test were negative.:confused: I would get...

View more questions Search