Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbeam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Infant gas (acid reflux?)
    My 2 month old son seems to throw up a lot. When he throws up most times the formula looks lumpy almost like it is going sour in his stomach. I also notice that when he is laying down he swallows a lot. He also passes gas constantly. I bought some Infacol for gassy babies but it didn't seem to work. So I bought some Gripe water, then I noticed that it contained Ethanol. Is that safe? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to give for gas, and an upset stomach. I've already tried a couple types of formula.

Thanks
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Is your baby lactose intolerate? Maybe try a soy formula however you should take him to the doctor and have him evaluated. You should watch for signs of dehydration. Is your son gaining weight?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:35 PM
    My son throws up a lot as well, and I have not tried everything so I can't give you much advice in that direction, but for gas Mylicon drops work wonderful. You just put a few drops in his formula and he doesn't even know he's taking it. :)

Aug 5, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeam
    My 2 month old son seems to throw up alot. When he throws up most times the formula looks lumpy almost like it is going sour in his stomach. I also notice that when he is laying down he swallows alot. He also passes gas constantly. I bought some Infacol for gassy babies but it didn't seem to work. So I bought some Gripe water, then I noticed that it contained Ethanol. Is that safe? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to give for gas, and an upset stomach. I've already tried a couple types of formula.

Thanks
    Doc doesn't seem to think anything is wrong. Thinks he might be eating too much. He has gained 6.5 pounds in 2.5 months. Soy has a lot of Estrogen in it that isn't good for babies. No signs of dehydration. Eyes are alert, not sleepy pretty happy baby usually.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Okay, this is what happened to my son. Baby boys are especially prone to this it is called pyloric stenosis. Does your baby put out a substantial urine and fecal output? If not go straight to your doctor and ask for an ultrasound on his pyloris muscle (its at the bottom of the stomach-do not waste time-go now especially if there is a reduced output into the diapers.

This illness occurs around 6 to eight weeks-no one knows why. It appears as lactose intolerance-until there is no output.

My son nearly died of dehydration-no poos and no urinary output-he went down fast! Luckily I worked in the medical imaging business! And knew something of it (the hospital staff thought he had menigitis, and were giving constant antibiotics until they scanned him (upon my forcing-mind you!)

Cheers-please get it checked out!
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Both of my sons went through this. My oldest's pediatrician didn't seem to think anything was wrong with him either. I believe her exact words were "he could be lactose intolerant", and then she never said another word about it again. I have been told by some people that the heat curdles the milk in their stomach, causing them to throw up. I'm not sure if this is true though, I heard this from friends.

Have you been burping him regularly? Every two ounces? Sometimes if you don't burp they will get air behind their formula and as soon as they do burp it will all come back up. :)
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 09:00 PM
    You might also want to check the size of the nipple if you are using a bottle he might be getting too much food to fast. It might just be normal regurgitation and should stop when he is old enough to eat solid foods
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 09:09 PM
    And the angle at which he is fed makes a difference too. His sitting higher up rather than lying back (and gulping) is better. We didn't have any help back in 1970, so am glad there is this site and others now!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 09:15 PM
    If your baby has gerd there are medicines to give him. My neices baby had this and was given meds for it. Also bed was raised at the head. Put your foot down and make the doctors do something for your child. If they will not find another one. My opinion the stomach acids are causing the formula to curdle. Stomach acid burns the throat from the flap to the mouth.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 11:54 PM
    I am no expert,
    But for my daughter garlic oil works best...
    And the burping after each feed helps too, if she doesn't burp most of the time she used to throw up too.

Just wet a finger tip with garlic oil and smear it on the palate (inside the mouth)
    And rub some on the stomach too.

I know it smells bad for some but it helped my daughter.:)

Aug 7, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeam
    My 2 month old son seems to throw up alot. When he throws up most times the formula looks lumpy almost like it is going sour in his stomach. I also notice that when he is laying down he swallows alot. He also passes gas constantly. I bought some Infacol for gassy babies but it didn't seem to work. So I bought some Gripe water, then I noticed that it contained Ethanol. Is that safe? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to give for gas, and an upset stomach. I've already tried a couple types of formula.

Thanks
    Hey everyone. Thanks for your support. I went to the Nutrition House a bought some naturopathic medicine for colicy/gassy babies and it has worked wonders. Also got some Udos oil Omega 3 and 6 and some probiotics for infants.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
    I would like to add that there is gripe water available that has no ethanol in it. It is better not to have that ingredient for babies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid Reflux. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I am new to this site but I have a few questions... Ok so it just about health in general because I was just diagnosed with acid reflux and my chest is very uncomfortable. It burns or is tight and I also feel like I have to blow my nose every five minutes. It is constantly running. I have had...

Peptic Ulcer/Stress/Hiatus Hernia/Reflux Oesphagitus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Again, I need a medical opinion from a professional regarding the link between 1.Stress -2.Peptic Ulcer/Reflux Oesphagitus - 3. Hiatus Hernia. I have been suffering this for some years now... After mis treatment and bullying in the Military Services... Can any professional help out...

Kidney Reflux and heredity [ 3 Answers ]

My 6 yr old son was recently diagnosed with Reflux (dealing with the kidney and bladder), he does not have scarring on his kidneys and the reflux is only on one side. They want to test my daughter to see if she has it. I am thinking of having myself tested too. To see if I have it. My question is,...

Eviction with an infant [ 6 Answers ]

What is the law in ga for evicting someone with an infant that got laid off and has nowhere to go. We have no contract no rent. It was just to help get on our feet. Now she wants us out and is verry hostile. I just got laid off my wife is working and in school so I play mister mom while we save up....

Avoiding acid reflux [ 1 Answers ]

If I have taken medication, how long should I wait before lying down? I ask this in order to avoid damaging my esophageal sphincter. I guess that the same question also applies to after eating food.

View more questions Search