Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeslieK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
    How to calculate size of air intake for air conditioner
    We have replaced our air conditioner and it has a higher capacity than the old one. We were told to increase the size of our air intake, but I am not sure how they calculated the square footage (they told us to double the size). How do you calculate the proper size of the air intake? Any reference or formula would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Are you talking about a return air grill or the return trunk? You need 400 cfm per ton of cooling, there are many ductulators that will tell you what the size needs to be, based on the static pressure in the duct work. These formulas take into effect lengths, elbows and bends etc.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:56 PM
    There is more here to consider then just the size of the return , the size of the supply duct, size of the refrigerant lines and size of the electrical service to the new condensing unit, all these are just as important .When the old unit was installed every thing was sized to that installation and if not taken into account then this system may cause you some problems. Mike
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieK View Post
    We have replaced our air conditioner and it has a higher capacity than the old one. We were told to increase the size of our air intake, but I am not sure how they calculated the square footage (they told us to double the size). How do you calculate the proper size of the air intake? Any reference or formula would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    1st off, almost all existing returns were undersized for the existing equipment, and the newer stuff indeed uses much more air, in fact replacing equipment with out replacing the ducts is a wate of money and a regular efficincy unit will ssave you money, better to have R8 ducts all sealed up tightly with a 80% efficiency unit! Existing ducting is junk generally, unless hard piped. Tract homes have sags and dips and crush points etc that and the R vqalues terrible, all the cans leak and supply grilles are open to the attic too! Lol! There is a lot more to it than just the equipment, nobody is doing you a service by ignoring the ducts and bigger the better smaller louder and never good!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Air conditioner on.no cold air [ 3 Answers ]

My AC unit has been running for several hours, but the house is no cooler than when it started. What could be my problem?

Air Conditioner .Air handler too.both stopped? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an air handler in the garage that started leaking a week or so ago. I have an ouside air conditioner (central?) and it also has stopped... when I move the thermostat I hear it click on but no air... Anybody?

Air conditioner condenser air temp [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering if the temp coming form the outdoor condenser should be really warm, like that coming out of a furnace, or just mildly warm, like around 90. Does the temp coming out have anything to do with performance or cost? I ask this because I live in an apartment, and the downstairs...

View more questions Search