Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Composite siding
    I built a small summer home and I used the Hardy Board or something similar make of a composite, it had a 25 year warranty, well the bottoms of these boards are beginning to soften and crumble where the water splashes up on to the siding. Does someone have ideas of what and how I could replace the bad part up about 18 inches to 2 foot. What I have now is 4X9 vertical panels with a 2 inch wide strip of the same material every 16 inches running from top to bottom to make it look like a board and bead effect.
    Hope you can understand what I am trying to describe, and I would thank you for your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Before you replace the boards you need to fix what caused your current problem, bad or absent gutters and down spouts. Can you tell us how close your siding comes to the grade? If you still have any of the warranty literature I'd get on the phone and ask the manufacturer to replace the boards.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
    The bottom of the boards are 14 inches from the grade, and the warranty is a few years over the 25 years.
    I think the problem is caused from the splashing of rain water off the ground or just the water running down the wall itself.
    We have painted that area about every third year, it is a very harsh climate there.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Well you got more than the warranty so it isn't too surprising that there is some failure. 14" should be fine, 24 " would be better. I'd replace the bottom 4-5 courses and let the owner in 2032 worry about the next repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Want To Seal My Composite Decking [ 8 Answers ]

My question is, will it hurt the integrity of the material? Our goal is to match it to the concrete coating we had installed next to it (it looks exactly like the decking except darker) and to repel stains. I have to get down on my hands and knees and scrub to remove dirt. I don't have a...

Howling Composite Deck [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer who built a deck on the back of his house. The deck is about 8 feet off the ground. The house sits up on a hill and gets a fair amount of wind. The problem is that when the wind hits the side of the house it is forced up underneath the deck and blows upward. The result is what I...

Refinishing composite deck [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning! I washed our deck yesterday which is made of a composite material called millennium board. It is a cream color, about six years old and is now stained with mildew and discoloring. What can be used to refinish it and make it look better?

Composite Decking saw blade [ 12 Answers ]

The manufacturer (Evergrain) recommends 2 teeth per inch. Would that mean an 80 tooth 12" chop saw blade and 40 tooth 7.25" circular saw blade? From ThisOldHouse.com - "To cut composite or plastic decking, manufacturers recommend using carbide-tipped saw blades with 18 to 24 teeth per inch, to...

Composite Decking [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing wood deck. Would like to replace the floor boards, railing and stair system with a composite material. Live by the ocean so need a product that will withstand the elements. Heard of Trex, Veranda, Fiberglass--any advice on these or other products would be appreciated.

View more questions Search