Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dosfreak Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Aug 9, 2005, 11:10 PM
    Does anyone use basic?
    Is there anyone here that is a teenager and programs in Qbasic?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2005, 01:25 AM
    I seriously doubt it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2005, 01:32 AM
    http://www.qbasicnews.com/tutorials.php
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2005, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosfreak
    Is there anyone here that is a teenager and programs in Qbasic?
    Why do you ask?

Aug 10, 2005, 10:34 PM
    I just do
    I just want to know because I program in Qbasic and I'm 14 I want to meet others like me!! Got a problem

Aug 10, 2005, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    I seriously doubt it.
    There are out there some where I just know it.

Aug 11, 2005, 05:23 AM
    I just want to know because I program in Qbasic and I'm 14 I want to meet others like me!!! Got a problem
    I think LT meant not on this site, not in general. The point being; if the mountain won't come to Mohammed...

There are sites that support QBasic. Need gave you one, www.qbasic.com is another. It has a chatroom and a forum where you can meet other diehards ;).
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2005, 06:36 AM
    QBasic
    Hi,
    I doubt if you being 14 has anything to do with the learning part of it; you are probably more "on the ball" than many of us here!
    Here is a link to a free tutorial using QBasic:

http://www.svatopluk.com/qbtutor/tut1.htm

I'm not sure if this will help you, but it might be worth checking out.

You can find others using http://www.google.com

Best of luck,
    fredg

Aug 11, 2005, 06:54 PM
    Thnxs
    Your help has been useful thnks for it you all shoud try Qbasic it is easy and fun to do we can share programs maybe if you all learn
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2005, 04:08 AM
    Your help has been useful thnks for it you all shoud try Qbasic it is easy and fun to do we can share programs maybe if you all learn
    I did... 15 years ago. Now most people are programming for the Windows environment but most also got their start in Basic.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 12, 2005, 04:42 AM
    Well, if it means anything, I'm 21 now, started with QBasic myself, back in the days on ZX Spectrum.

Looks like a lot of coders start with Basic, move on to C and finish up with C++ or Java. I just used Pascal in between the Basic and C.

Anyway, as guys here told you, do try to learn Basic, learn how to think like a machine. You'll have a strong base and will find it quite easy to move to other programming languages (like Pascal and C), and finally arrive at C++ or Java (not dissing out VisualBasic or anything here... ). Just don't try skipping the steps while you're young. You might find it a bit hard and might get frustrated and there is really no need to get frustrated. If you like programming, stick to it. It's a very good thing for making money (if nothing else) :)

Aug 12, 2005, 05:08 AM
    Programming in QBasic is like taking a horse and buggy on an interstate. It may get you where you are going but not very efficiently. On the other handle, once you learn the techniques of programming, its easier to move to another language. Generally the majority of programming is summed up by If... Then... Else and Do... While.

However, today's object oriented languages carry an extra level of complexity that you don't see in QBasic.

My point is that, while its good to learn QBasic as a starting point, its basically a dead language that is not very productive. You should move on.

Aug 12, 2005, 08:32 AM
    OK
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Programming in QBasic is like taking a horse and buggy on an interstate. It may get you where you are going but not very efficiently. On the other handle, once you learn the techniques of programming, its easier to move to another language. Generally the majority of programming is summed up by If...Then...Else and Do...While.

However, today's object oriented languages carry an extra level of complexity that you don't see in QBasic.

My point is that, while its good to learn QBasic as a starting point, its basically a dead language that is not very productive. You should move on.
    :) Yea you guys helped some I am just trying to learn the basics of programing then I will go on to pascal but do you need a compiler or something like that also is there a website that gives free tutorials for pascal I heard pascal is a pretty good language to u recommend it?thnks

Aug 13, 2005, 03:38 AM
    :) Yea you guys helped some I am just trying to learn the basics of programing then I will go on to pascal but do you need a compiler or something like that also is there a website that gives free tutorials for pascal I heard pascal is a pretty good language to u recomend it?thnks
    Most Windows programs used Visual Basic or C++
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 18, 2005, 05:46 AM
    :) Yea you guys helped some I am just trying to learn the basics of programing then I will go on to pascal but do you need a compiler or something like that also is there a website that gives free tutorials for pascal I heard pascal is a pretty good language to u recomend it?thnks
    I think for basic programming Basic is the best. You learn how to think as a machine, without the extra work pascal and C require you to take care of. When you learn basic and want to upgrade your knowledge, C might be a bit too much to handle. Pascal is a nice step in between. You'll learn that you have to declare variables and stuff. You can also get the basic idea of pointers (the thing that bugs most of people starting with C). You'll learn even more techniques and things with Pascal, and you'll be ready for C. In C you will learn a lot again. When you're done with it, you can turn to Object Oriented Programming with Java or C++.

For Pascal, you can find TurboPascal which is an editor and compiler all in one. For tutorials, you'll have to search the net on your own.

If you feel confident enough (only when you learn basic well), you can try learning C right away... it will save you the hassle of moving from Basic syntax to Pascal syntax and then again to C syntax, but it might seem frustrating if it gets a too big bite for you at that age, and you might quit coding altogether.

----- EDIT -----

Let me just mention that there are great tools to build windows applications (like VisualBasic) from Borland. Delphi is a great tool that uses Pascal as a programming language, and C++ Builder is almost the same tool but it uses C++ as a programming language. I can say I made some pretty neat Trojan Horses (none of them were ever spread, only used as jokes on my friends and never in a harmfull way, although I coded a possibility to mess with their hard disks) and useful tools back in my days with Delphi and later C++ Builder.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2005, 07:58 AM
    Pascal was the first language I ever learnt. It was easy to learn and it was a lot of fun. Use Pascal to get a taste of programming and then I would move straight onto a OO (Object Orientated) language. OO languages are the way to go nowadays and that either means a .Net language (C# or possibly VB.Net) or Java.

I wouldn't bother going from Pascal to C. You won't learn many new skills and it will be best to switch to a more modern language.

Another advantage with going onto Java/.Net - as these are the two most common languages/frameworks used (I believe), there are tonnes of resources out there for them.

Aug 19, 2005, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    I think for basic programming Basic is the best. You learn how to think as a machine, without the extra work pascal and C require you to take care of. When you learn basic and want to upgrade your knowledge, C might be a bit too much to handle. Pascal is a nice step in between. You'll learn that you have to declare variables and stuff. You can also get the basic idea of pointers (the thing that bugs most of people starting with C). You'll learn even more techniques and things with Pascal, and you'll be ready for C. In C you will learn a lot again. When you're done with it, you can turn to Object Oriented Programming with Java or C++.

For Pascal, you can find TurboPascal which is an editor and compiler all in one. For tutorials, you'll have to search the net on your own.

If you feel confident enough (only when you learn basic well), you can try learning C right away...it will save you the hassle of moving from Basic syntax to Pascal syntax and then again to C syntax, but it might seem frustrating if it gets a too big bite for you at that age, and you might quit coding altogether.

----- EDIT -----

Let me just mention that there are great tools to build windows applications (like VisualBasic) from Borland. Delphi is a great tool that uses Pascal as a programming language, and C++ Builder is almost the same tool but it uses C++ as a programming language. I can say i made some pretty neat Trojan Horses (none of them were ever spread, only used as jokes on my friends and never in a harmfull way, although i coded a possibility to mess with their hard disks) and useful tools back in my days with Delphi and later C++ Builder.
    Thnxs I think once I get the tools for pascal I will go on to it basic is awesome to start with though you get used to the programing field and you learn how to think as a machine basic is good but it is not enough for what I want I want to program video games like doom&doomII and like ROTT those games are awesome those were the days when all you did was shoot the crap out of monsters and demons for fun you didn't worry about the graphics first it was the game play then looks came seconed. I believe that is how games should be made not just for the awesome high tech graphics in these new games some of them are good though like Halo for example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which version of BASIC [ 4 Answers ]

I have a program developed for me, based from XL for it's repetitious formulae functions when macro's are no longer practical. In other words, where XL can no longer be a pratical option, the same work is made into a program. I am no programmer, but the layman's "blueprint" was presented to a...

Visual basic [ 1 Answers ]

How can I disable maximise button of a form but minimise and close button should be enable?

Visual Basic [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add icon in the button which I have used in my visual basic program. How can I do that. Please help.

View more questions Search