Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babalubin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 06:55 AM
    I used diet pills for a long time and became addicted. It took me years to gett off. I have suffered for being over weight, losing and gaining. I now belong to overeaters anonymous 90 day format. I have lost and maintaing a 127lb loss. Go to www.oa.org and look up phone meetings. There are 90 day meeting there... Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights, and Monday morning. Good luck.
    beautiful_disaster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Hi there. Weight loss via diet pills can actually increase the risk of long term weight increase.So any weight you may loose off pills short term, will come back twice as much long term.I know it may seem that diet pills are the only way to get around weight loss as so many people choose this method,but seriously.Your metabolism will be ruined if u use diet pills more than a year,The longer you keep taking them, the slower your metabolism gets-and the risks to your body, and the effects are not worth it.Wouldnt you rather just learn how to moderate what you eat and excersize at least 30 minutes cardio a day, rather than punish your body and end up having to work off the excess fat later on? Good luck with your decision-and weight loss.
    dumbo22 Posts: 53, Reputation: 0

Dec 2, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Do not take bangkok pills

Why "Bangkok Pills" Are Not Good For You

The Department of Health issued a statement that "Bangkok pills" (so-called because they are smuggled in from Thailand) have been analyzed by the department's Bureau of Food and Drugs and discovered to contain ephedrine, phentermine and fenfluramine.

Ephedrine is a prescription only drug that is banned for sale over-the-counter. Fenfluramine and phentermine are the infamous duo otherwise known as "fen-phen"

In September 1997, the U.S. FDA banned fenfluramine (Pondimin) and dexfenfluramine (Redux or Adifax) due to reports of heart valve damage among users. Here's a closer look at those ingredients and what they can actually do to your body.

Ephedrine
    Ephedrine is an asthma drug that is structurally similar to amphetamines or "speed". It is found in its natural form, ephedra, in the Chinese herb ma huang. The drug's stimulant effect increases heart rate, metabolic rate and alertness.

Common side effects are anxiety, insomnia, palpitations, trembling, weakness, sweating, a feeling of warmth or "burning" in the muscles, nausea, and vomiting. More serious but less common side effects are chest pain, hypertension, seizures, stroke (in high doses), and sudden rapid heart rate (just like what my relative experienced).

Fen-phen
    The diet drugs, fenfluramine (Pondimin) and phentermine (Ionamin), have both been around for twenty years but were never very popular because of the unpleasant side effects they created.

Fenfluramine can cause dry mouth, excessive drowsiness, fatigue, abdominal pain, short-term memory loss and diarrhea. Phentermine, meanwhile, because of its similarity to amphetamines and ephedrine can cause nervousness, insomnia, restlessness, anxiety, increased heart rate, increase blood pressure, irritability, dry mouth, vomiting, irregular heart beat, constipation, and a decreased sense of fatigue (however, the body becomes immune over a short time, then fatigue and depression may set in).
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Ephedrine can be really bad if you do not follow ALL precautions. Even healthiest of people have to be cautious taking it because it can cause your heart to race or heart palpitations. Ephedra Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings
    23-year-old Baltimore Oriole pitcher Steve Bechler died of ephedra toxicity in 2003
    As well as hundreds of other people.

The best way to lose weight is to get on a cleansing diet because as long as your system is full of bad food that cause toxins you will never lose on any diet plan.

Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables that contain antioxidents.
    Grapefruit is great for burning calories as long as you aren't taking certain medicines that it can interfere with.
    Eat smaller portions and eat more times a day. Take vitamin B complex in the morning with breakfast and do not skip breakfast.
    Use sea salt instead of table salt.
    Cut out ALL junk food, pre prepared foods-(boxed, canned, frozen TV dinners etc), fast food AND diet food and diet drinks. Even the prepackaged health snacks contain preservatives and chemicals that will put on weight.
    Do not use artificial sweeteners.
    Aspartame Truth Information Site
    It is best not to use a microwave either.
    Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food
    kriispy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Hi I myself have tried bangkok diet pill. If you need to lose pounds fast and is really desperate try it. I lost 20lbs in a month without dieting. It was hard for me to lose weight after giving birth twice. I have good health so it wasn't bad for me except I had to tolerate insomia, dry mouth, dry thoat. I was very active after that, it helped boost my confident. Its best to use it if your trying to lose weight and once off it you have to maintain your weight or else you will gain back your weight plus double. Am not saying go out and buy it, if your desperate try it. I was very depress about my weight and bangkok pills was the last resort. If you got health issues don't try use it. They say everything is bad for you, smoking kills but people still smoke, drinking and driving kills people still take that risk, diet pills are harmful they say, so some of us choose to remain fat while others take the risk... all am saying is u can choose to listen to "them" or you can take a risk, remember it's not addictive so u can choose to stop in a week a day whatever... do what you feel is right!
    Fuchsia Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 30, 2009, 12:53 PM

No, diet pills are not safe. I would never recommend them to anyone. Also, they are just a quick fix and they have very bad side effects.You are not learning how to lose the weight and keep it off. The best way to lose weight is by eating a healty diet and exercise. By you giving your body the nutrients it needs by eating the healthy foods and not junk food. For advice about losing weight read this article: Weightloss For The Weary
    iyay_bluish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Well, I am still on the state loving my body fats.. haha

But, seriously I tried goodliness and it did well for me. The problem is that when I stop taking the pill, my fats keep on coming back.. I am struggling on controlling my appetite because of my love of food.. I think I have to work on it... :p
    RockAngel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 11:48 PM

There are literally hundreds of diet tablets and capsules on the market today and they all claim to be able to help you lose weight, but the biggest concern most consumers have is over the safety of these diet pills.

Weight loss pills fall into two main categories; prescription medications available from your health care professional and 'natural' over-the-counter preparations available from health food stores and other retailers. Many diet pills do actually work and are perfectly safe for most people to take but you should be cautious when considering either option.

Many people choose to take 'natural' diet pills, based on the fact that a naturally occurring plant or mineral supplement will not harm them, but unfortunately they could be sadly and dangerously mistaken. Just because something is 'natural' does not necessarily mean that it's safe; lead and arsenic are both natural compounds but are extremely harmful if consumed.

It's useful to bear in mind that natural dietary supplements are still drugs, and their use should be carefully monitored and as rigidly observed as prescription meds. Recently, a natural supplement called Ephedra was banned from sale in the US - it was an effective weight loss supplement but was proven to have detrimental effects on both the heart and nervous system and several deaths were linked to its use.

Another problem with natural supplements is in ensuring that you know what the capsule or tablet actually contains. There have been several instances of potentially harmful counterfeit supplements being sold, especially on the internet.

This is not to say that natural dietary supplements don't work; many people have successfully lost weight with the assistance of herbal supplements and have experienced absolutely no ill effects. As previously mentioned, approach these products with caution and research both the product and the supplier to make sure that it's the right product for you. You should also talk to your doctor before taking any supplements.

Prescription diet pills are also readily available but just like natural supplements, even though they may be perfectly safe and effective for most people, they can induce unwanted side effects in some. The benefit of prescription medications is that you know that any claims made by the manufacturers are accurate, so if they say that their product will block a certain percentage of fat from being absorbed by the body, you can safely assume that it's been scientifically tested and proven to do so. If your doctor recommends a certain diet drug, you should always ask about the possible side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and constipation.

We can conclude then that diet pills, whether they are over-the-counter or prescription medications, are generally safe and effective in assisting you to lose weight. However, a more comprehensive weight loss plan which includes a combination of proper exercise and nutrition is always the best course of action.

Always check with your doctor before embarking on any type of weight loss plan.

:D:D:D:D I'm smart ;)
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Oct 6, 2009, 01:02 PM

I don't think diet pills are any good for you. Especially those Bangkok pills. Flush them down the toilet! Expensive but deadly. I tried the Nutr-System. It was great and more than I could eat. It was nice to not have to cook any of it. I lost weight, 25lbs in three weeks, but I got tired of the food. I don't know why because I like anything if it is food. But I quit. I need more determination and control. But the Nutri-system gets my vote for a healthy, working diet program.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 09:28 PM
    5 year old thread closed. Please check dates prior to posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chinese weight loss pills? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently started to take 'china show light body essence' tablets and was just wondering if anybody has any information on weather or not they are effective, I have had no signs of weight loss yet...

Prescription Diet Pills [ 2 Answers ]

I am 10 lbs overweight and just can't seem to lose this extra weight. It may not seem like a lot, but on me, it is. It's all in my buns and thighs. I walk 1.25 miles every day (weather permitting) and 2 to 3 days a week, I walk 2.5 miles. I have a one year old child so I also get exercise running...

Any effective weight loss pills? [ 13 Answers ]

Has anyone tried a weight loss pill that doesn't make you 1) sick 2)jittery/unable to sleep and makes you feel full? I'm not expecting a miracle but are there actually honest positive testimonials out there?

Diet pills [ 3 Answers ]

I want to loose some weight. I was two sides smiler than I am rigth now. I am not overweight really but ia want to have my body like it was before. I would like to try with diet pills, but I am scared of side effects. I just wondering if just taking those pills for a while,...

View more questions Search