Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MobyD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Musician no one knows about
    I make music. I play it, record it, and produce it myself on my little laptop (with the help of garageband). Of course they be my friends and family, but everyone who has listened to my music has only given me compliments galore. They tell me to get my music out there, that I could be somebody, or even an contender... eh.. but, how do I do this? I have cd for sale on lulu.com, but no body seems to care; I've only sold seven units. Anyway, if there is anyone out there who knows anything about what it takes to get into the music industry, please let me know. Danka.
    primavista Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MobyD
    I make music. I play it, record it, and produce it myself on my little laptop (with the help of garageband). Of course they be my friends and family, but everyone who has listened to my music has only given me compliments galore. They tell me to get my music out there, that I could be somebody, or even an contender...eh..but, how do I do this? I have cd for sale on lulu.com, but no body seems to care; I've only sold seven units. anyways, if there is anyone out there who knows anything about what it takes to get into the music industry, please let me know. Danka.
    Hey dude... I'm in the same boat as you. I write songs with my guitar and record them using record producer deluxe program. A great way to get your songs out there is Myspace.com... there are all kinds of people on there that are doing the same thing we are. It lets you post 4 songs at a time and change them whenever, allows people to add your songs to their page and allows people to evaluate, you can even sell your stuff on there. I posted 4 songs about a week ago and today have over 2000 people listen to them and add them to their profiles, its great. Maybe you know of this already but it's a great way to get out there... good luck man
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 12:26 AM
    You can get your music "out there" on the Internet world, and that is fine. It is relatively easy to do that. At least you know that some people might be listening to it. But, whether those people are going to be able to get you somewhere is another story.

Most people who can get you somewhere are not going to be finding you on the Internet. You need to show the self-motivation and drive as well as tenacity to submit your work to people in the promotion and recording industry. Once you find them, you just follow their rules for submission of your work. Sometimes, there are competitions that you can enter. If they are live competitions concerning bands, then usually, there will be some representatives of firms there looking for new talent to promote.

Another way to get exposure is to have your music played, by you and/or your group play it for dances if your music is of the dance quality type.

It is a tough field to break into, and the competition is fierce. But, if you have the drive and determination, you just might make it. As far as being known locally, that's not hard to do. Just ask to play, or have your music played, for various events where your music might be welcome. Also, if you have made a recording, maybe a local radio station person might listen to what you have and offer to play some of it on the air.
    MobyD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 06:14 AM
    I am already on myspace. (actually, if you guys want to check me out, I'm at myspace.com/ruthsalles) but yeah, I'm already on myspace. I got a CD for sale on lulu.com, but I don't get the feed back that I am aiming for on myspace, and I've only sold 7 CDs. I will be doing some open mic night stuff in September, but you are right Clough, the game is hard. Plus, no one is interested in hearing some whiney chick sing about her heartache to the folk stylings of her hot, black and shiny, Alvarez.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Struggling musician! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, Im a singer living in West Palm Beach and I have written tons of songs and lyrics and really want to get in the studio, make some demos and get out there. Would anyone know about the first steps to getting that done? Or even suggest the right kind of studios to look into?

Name of Country Musician [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the blind country singer who sang a song called "Love and War"? He would have been in the era with Johnny Paycheck, Ray Charles, Glen Campbell? Thanks for your input.

Musician boyfriend [ 29 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend is a musician and I am seriously considering leaving him because of his job, I am not sure if my decision is rational, I have a self esteem problem which, I have eating disorder which I am getting help for but I still feel very vulnerable and I can not stand the environment I...

African-american musician [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a blind black musician who recorded probably during the 20s through 30s.The story is he was blinded by his mother possibly with lye,I think he was a blues singer who played a guitar.I tried goggle but I don't have a enough information. Thanks for any information...

View more questions Search