Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Aug 9, 2005, 08:48 AM
    Barking Doxie
    I have a mini doxie who is a year old. She continues to bark at everyone, I try to distract her with her toys or tell her to quiet down. I bring her to work with me on occasion. She's always around other people and dogs since she's been 3 months old. Lately, she barks at everyone. I can't get her to stop. I don't know what else to do. She's driving me crazy. I enjoy taking her to work with me where she can play with the other dogs. What can I do to minimize her barking. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2005, 09:39 AM
    Breaking an established habit at a year old may not be easy. I don't have all the answers, and wouldn't count on others solving the problem either. 3 months is too late to socialize a dog to strangers. She may never accept things very well she was not exposed to between 6-12 weeks. One of the first steps is to establish yourself as top dog. This both pressures her to obey you and relives her of the responsibility to do something about the strange people and dogs.
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

If not already, spay her. It is not a cure all but helps with many behavior problems.

I would give up taking her to work for a while, and limit her exposure to other people and dogs to when you can give her your undivided attention, with zero tolerance of barking. As she adjusts to being quiet when she has your full attention, you can allow her more and more time with other dogs. Start with holding your hand in front of her face and giving her a stern ''Bad dog!'' in a quiet, but firm voice. You can also try holding her mouth closed. If that doesn't stop her, get tough. Give a warning stern "Bad Dog!". In
    Stubborn cases, I repeat the "Bad dog!" right in its face with the dog on its
    Back. Hold it down until it lifts one back leg to show submission. Use one
    Forearm under his jaw to keep his teeth away from your face. Another very
    Effective technique if the dog is small enough, is to pick it up with your
    Hands behind its front shoulders and hold it out with its back to you. Make
    Sure it is far enough out it can't fling its head into your face. Hold it
    Until it quits struggling and relaxes. If you can't do either of those, try
    The squirt bottle. Fill it with water and a little vinegar or lemon juice.
    Give it a squirt in the face as soon as it misbehaves. Dogs hate that. I do
    Too and only use it in desperation. Denying it your attention works great
    Too. Turn your back, walk off, whatever. Dogs are very social, and losing
    Your company is the worst thing that can happen. The solution to a stubborn
    Dog is an owner that is even more stubborn. Don't forget the praise and
    Petting when she finally yields.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog barking at 7 am~any advice? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted a few weeks ago because my new shelter rescue dog, Barkley, (a small-ish one year old lab mix) was having diarrhea in the middle of the night. Luckily that is all resolved now, thank goodness! He sleeps through the night, in his crate, which we keep in our bedroom. Now he's...

Barking mad [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is...

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

My German Shepherd's Barking [ 3 Answers ]

Kaiser, a 3 y.o.(desexed at 6 mths) is very devoted to me and is with me most of the day.We've had him since 6 weeks. We have no children and I suspect this is one of the reasons he doesn't like small girls. He barks at them.. also barks at old people in the street or public place, men wearing...

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search