Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vader420 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 07:39 AM
    When do child support payments stop?
    Both I and my son reside in Florida. I pay child support through court ordered payroll deduction. My son turned 18 earlier this month. He is still currently living at home with his mother. He is employed and plans on attending community college this fall.Can I petition the court to stop support payments and if so, How do I do that?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 5, 2007, 08:28 AM
    When they turn 18 unless you've had other arrangements
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 08:42 AM
    This should be in your Divorce Decree/Child Support Order.

Many times the support ends when the child graduates from high school or reaches the age of 18, whichever comes first. However, some courts do rule that child support can be paid if the child is enrolled full time in college. It should be stated in your order.

You can petition the court to terminate support, but that does not mean that they will terminate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Yes, most current court orders include support and payment of college till they are @ 21 as long as they are going to college.

But others end at 18. So you need to get your child support paperwork out and see exactly what your court order says
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 04:58 PM
    You need to petition the court to declare him emancipated, thus terminating your responsibility to continue paying support. Some states require parents to continue paying support over the age of 18 if attending college as a full-time student. Talk to a family lawyer for specifics as they apply to Fla.
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Aug 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
    You can petition to child services to have the child support stop when the minor turns 18, unless they are a full time student. If they are you will have to continue to pay child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When does child support stop? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband currently pays child support for a 17 and 14 year old and their mother has told them that their dad could have to pay child support for them through college. I thought it stopped after completing high school or age 18. Which is it? Thanks for your help!

Future Child Support Payments [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago during my divorce proceedings my now ex-husband was ordered to pay spousal maintenance for 5 years and child support until children are 18. He paid on time for the first two years but a little over a year ago he stopped making payments. At the time of our divorce he had a very...

My ex husband wants to stop paying child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I live in New York state. My husband and I split 12 years ago when my daughter was 6. They recently had a break down in their relationship (she's upset because he's moving to North Carolina with his girlfriend), and he's decided to take me to court to...

Stop substantially equal payments [ 3 Answers ]

I have been making substantially equal payments (withdrawals) from a 403B for 4-5 years and am considering stopping the withdrawals. I am 43 years old. Can I do this without any negative tax consequences?

View more questions Search