Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GaryH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 11:32 PM
    Well Pump stops working
    Anything to do with plumbing is my worst area to deal with. Twice in the past week our Goulds above ground jet pump suddenly stops it's on and off cycling while running the water and the water quickly ran to a trickle and stopped. After about 2 minutes it suddenly started again, but with spurts of mixed in air coming from the faucet. The pump and small tank are in a crawlspace under the house. I'm now wondering when it will stop running for good. Any ideas on what it might be? Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2005, 06:47 AM
    If the pump continued running, but stopped delivering water, air is getting into the system somewhere. Since it is air leaking in, not water out, the leak can be hard to find. Check the fittings around the pump carefully. With the dry weather around the country, the well could be so low that the pump is drawing air at the bottom.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If the pump continued running, but stopped delivering water, air is getting into the system somewhere. since it is air leaking in, not water out, the leak can be hard to find. Check the fittings around the pump carefully. With the dry weather around the country, the well could be so low that the pump is drawing air at the bottom.
    HINT: If there's a leak it will be found on the suction side of the system. Good luck, Tom
    GaryH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2005, 09:50 AM
    The pump doesn't run as usual. When running the water, the pump will fail to kick in. Water will diminish to zero. Then after 3 minutes or so, the pump will kick back on and run normally for a day or two with plenty of water. The control valve was replaced last year and the pressure switch was replaced last week.

If the well were going dry, which is unlikely in this area, wouldn't the pump run non-stop attempting to pull water, but only sucking air?

I sure don't get it. Hopefully you guys do! Thanks for any help you can give!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2005, 10:18 AM
    I think you are right. It sounds like to me like you are not getting power to the pump. I am a new convert to voltage detectors. I have a GB Instruments Live wire, GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to the incoming power, the wires between the controls and the pump motor. In a few seconds you can find out if the pump has power, and if not, where the power goes in, bud does not come out. One other thing you could check is the piping to the pressure switch. It could be limed up and pressure changes not tripping the pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower on top of heat pump not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Coleman heat pump that is less than 2 years old and has worked well up until a couple of days ago. Now, the air conditioning and the heat will not work, but the fan and furnace still works. After checking things out myself for small problems with the electrical box, etc, I noticed that...

Furnace squeals but then stops [ 5 Answers ]

The past several months my forced air furnace would all of a sudden start making this high pitched chirping sound and then get even louder throughout the night. When we would shut it off it would squeal until it shut off completely making us think it was a belt. We had used wd-40 and it seems to...

Well water stops then goes [ 5 Answers ]

When I turn on my water it starts to come out then no water then the water comes out slow till it reaches full pressure I changed the pressure switch my other one was bad now I have this problem could it be a bad pressure switch (I got it at home depot) or could it be the air in the tank what...

MTD Mower stops [ 3 Answers ]

The transmission drive belt keeps coming off my MTD Yardman Lawn Tractor--I called customer service--of course they told me to take it to an authorized dealer--yeah, right--anyone else having that problem --or have a suggestion?

Washer stops after a few minutes [ 5 Answers ]

We just moved our Kenmoore washer for recarpeting and now the washer will not rinse. Before it worked without any problems. When we load it up and set it to wash, before it reaches to Rinse/Spin, it stops. It seems it can not drain the water for it to rinse. Please help :( Thanks!

View more questions Search