Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diane98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Web worms (bag worms) everywhere
    My neighbor's tree is full of web worms, I think they are also called bag worms. These fuzzy little worms, they're caterpillars really, drop onto my deck and are eating everything in sight. They don't make the web-like encasements, but they are killing my potted plants; mandevilla, vinca, mint, petunias even thyme and basil. I can pick them off and more drop down with each breeze:eek: . Will anything kill them and still leave my herbs edible?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
    You might can use a spray of malathine or diazone, you would have to thoughly wash the food first though. Follow manufacture's instructions.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Diane, you neighbor should be removing those nests prior to the caterpillar hatching. They can be pulled down by hand or burned out. Bag worms & tent caterpillars are a real nuisance and I still haven't figured out what their purpose is except to feed the local bird population when they are caterpillars and/or the bat population when they pupate into moths. But, getting rid of the nests that interfere with our quality of living should be done. There are plenty of nests in other areas that will feed the local wildlife population.

Permethrin based insecticide will kill them off. Check your local hardware or superstore (such as Walmarts) garden center. Most of the sprays used to kill wasps, hornets, bees, and flying insects contain permethrin and will do the job you need nicely. If the tree with the nests is close to your yard and the nest is reachable, you can douse the nest with one of those sprays that has a long range spray.

As mowerman states, if you use this spray on your fruits, vegetables, herbs,. anything that someone or an animal might eat, wash the edibles very thoroughly.
    johnboy64 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diane98
    My neighbor's tree is full of web worms, I think they are also called bag worms. These fuzzy little worms, they're caterpillers really, drop onto my deck and are eating everything in sight. They don't make the web-like encasements, but they are killing my potted plants; mandevilla, vinca, mint, petunias even thyme and basil. I can pick them off and more drop down with each breeze:eek: . Will anything kill them and still leave my herbs edible?
    I heard that aerosol hair spray will gum up their web nests and probably kill them. Soak one or two nests with cheap spray and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Worms and pregnancy [ 6 Answers ]

I brought in a stray cat when I moved to my current house in November, and its been living with me since, she makes my 6th cat. Now, I know she has worms, because I've seen her puke them up a few times. She also seems pregnant, yet I know worms can simulate this, my question is, is there anyway...

Dog with worms [ 2 Answers ]

Some one "dumped" a dog on me. She is 2,she is not"fixed",she has not seen a vet since she was 9 mo.nor has she had any shots since than. She is skinny so I thougt she might have worms. I got some"hartz, Rid worm liq." and gave her the recommended dose two weeks ago. Today she had live worms...

Worms [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter needs to know if worms are reptiles. I have no clue, so if anyone could shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time. :)

Worms [ 3 Answers ]

This is my first dog... I let her out her cage tonight and when she pooped, her poop had worms in it... where did it come from and I don't know I'm just grossed out... im taking her to the vet tomorrow... help!do anyone have any information?

Worms 1 With Xp [ 1 Answers ]

I just feel like playing Worms on my computer. Find back CD, install it without problems. Then I can't run it. Does anyone know how to run it with Windows XP?

View more questions Search