Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qualla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Searching for answers
    My step daughter suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder. She is 19 now and has had counseling in the past. After 5 years away from the world ( her mother took her out of school and basically isolated her until her mother left the picture) she went back to school and made many positive steps. However she has no social skills, often angry and rude and even though she is enrolled in college, I am afraid she won't make it. She can't get a job as she can't conduct an interview and with her negative outlook on everything she just sits around not engaging in any family activities. Her father, sister and I want her to become an independent and happy young woman. We don't know how to do this. Any suggestions? :confused:
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 8, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Time
    The world is not an easy place to navigate even for those who are well balanced and firmly planted. There must be a social level that she can feel really comfortable in. The hard part will be to find that level. It would be a good thing for you to spend one on one time with her out and about so that she can see how you navigate in society and perhaps start to adopt some of your social skills as her own. If she has physical or appearance abnormalities then her anxiety might be understood more easily. Finding the root of her negativity will be a positive step in her recovery. She needs to move on from whatever negative platform she is on. Many people experience adolescent awkwardness and so it would also be important for you to recognize and separate that from the diagnosed disorder. Create more social setting at home to give her a chance to mix and mingle. It really is a very complex issue. Good Luck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2005, 06:20 AM
    Social Skills
    Hi,
    I would suggest making an appointment to see, with her going also, a professional in this particular field; even a psychiatrist.
    Perhaps some type of anti-depressant medication, on the advise of the doctor, would be in order.
    I do think professional help is needed. This is a job for a professional, and has deep-rooted reasons for this type of behavior, and it might be completely futile to try solving it without it.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Searching for a movie [ 5 Answers ]

A movie (80s) with a young boy on a HAM radio in the upper northwest (or even Alaska) who is helping solve a crime.. . great, great movie.. . want to find it again.. . help, please.. .

Searching and searching [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am constantly searching on engines such as Google and Yahoo! Etc and always when I need to come back to what I found in a previous search, I can never seem to find it again or remember how I got to it. Does anyone know if major engines have a feature that allows me to track where I...

I've been searching for something... can you tell me where to find it? [ 2 Answers ]

:( :( I've been looking for an icon buddy... and I want to know where I should go to get one. Because I'm kind of bored so... well... I want one... anyway, Thanks for helping...

Searching [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a song by a woman. About 5 years ago. Kind of mellow rock. Can't remember her name or the name of the song. The only thing that I remember is at the very end, instead of singing the words she says "I'm crazy like that". Or something similar. Please help!! Driving me crazy...

View more questions Search